I recently built a sweet guitar out of a 1950ish Handy Andy Tool Box. I wired it to a piezo I took from a broken radio, so I guess I shouldn't have been too surprised then when I began hearing radio signals coming through my amp when the guitar was plugged in. If I angle the guitar correctly, I can get a clear, strong radio station. Maybe this is just a magic guitar that can play music on it's own?

Seriously though, has anybody ever had this happen to them? Or is this a common problem with piezos?

-KB

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I pickup faint radio signals sometimes on my tuber when it is parked on one side of my room. If I played my cards right and picked up the right stuff, I'd view it as a poor mans modeling amp. Problem is, I think I'm channeling up Justin Bieber.

RC

• I hear voices myself sometimes. I know they aren't real, but they have some pretty good ideas anyway.

• Perfect mind Thomas.  I get some CB traffic out of my amps from time to time if the signal is strong enough its not easy to keep it out Shielding can help.

• Try installing an Opto-Tech A-150. It's a radio frequency filter used in telephone lines. I'm not sure who makes it, but it's a really common part that any phone repairman should have handy.

-SD-

• I see a cool gig incorporating random am radio talk show traffic over a rocking CBG beat!

• I had some CB's once through my amp. I think it's more about the amp than the piezo.
  • It's relatively common to pick up radio signals with guitars in general....sometimes the guitar lead will act as an aerial. Hearing mobile phone digital  interference is also very common. I used to get a local CB radio on my amp..."10-4 for The Lump" would come over loud and clear...and check the scene in "Spinal Tap" where they are playing the airforce base and picking up ground-to-air transmissions on the radio mics.
  • I had that happen when i built a version of a ruby amp. Something somewhere is messed up

-WY
  • No, but it sounds quite interesting!
This reply was deleted.