Hi again!

ALMOST done with my first build- SO FAR so good for the most part! :)

Question regarding piezos- at SOME point, I remember seeing something in a video about this- vaguely remember it- and now can not find the video and wonder if I'm just losing it or dreamt it or something! 

So the volume knob thingy (yeah, very girly of me I know) lol I have it coming out of the lid of my cigar box- it however, doesn't sit quite right, and the threads are BARELY above the hole- NOW, what I REMEMBER seeing in a video, was a guy explaining that if you wanted it to sit more flush- you could totally cut down that little bit of medal sticking up as a post.... (see below please!)

See that tiny bit of metal sticking up to the left of the knob? That's the thing I want to cut down if possible!

Is that OK to do? Or? :) 

THANK YOU MUCH FOR ANY AND ALL ADVICE! :)

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I buy the volume knob thingys that don't have that anti-spin prong, and have never had  a problem with them spinning.  just cinching that nut down firm but not crushing works for me.

• I just use some wire cutter and snip it off leaving a small sharp nub so it acts like a nail and pushes into the lid this helps it not move( rotate when turned). To tame the piezo solder a .022 capacitor across the + and - of the output jack as CB Gitty shows in a video on here. I hope this helps
  • I used to break it off. It works fine as long as it never comes loose. If it ever does and you can't hold the pot from both sides, when you tighten the pot from the front you risk twisting the wires inside the guitar.

It's not hard to make a little indentation/hole to fit the tab into. If the pot ever comes loose, it can be tightened from the front without spinning and twisting the wires inside the guitar.

First guitar? Break the tab, just build something that plays. Next time, have a think about it and use it. It's there for a reason, now you know what it is.

• I think those tabs were intended for use with a metal control panel, and the hole had a little slot in the side that the tab fit into. That kept the whole potentiometer (pot) from turning when you rotated the knob.

Should you build any more, you can buy a pot that has a longer shaft on it that will reach all the way through the lid of the box.

• I see.... hmmm. I wonder if it that's going to be a problem- it turning in there... I will have to play with it and decide what to do! Thanks for your input!

• But yes, clip, cut, file, or break off that tab, you don't need it.

• Yup. You can. Take a pair of pliers and bend it back it usually snaps off.

Alternative, you can use a screwdriver to shallow out or punch through a hole to fit it in. Your volume button will usually cover up any holes etc.

This reply was deleted.