Hi, I have a Kodak tin 'in stock' and want to make a twangy gitty with it. Can I add a neck mag pickup and get the reso sound? If so, does it mount to the metal surface or to the neck inside the can and sit through (not touching the metal)? If this has been discussed in detail please feel free to point me in the right direction! Cheers, Steve

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks Skeesix,

Interesting reading but my questions about the mag pup still stands and it would be good to know if others have tried a pickup/hum bucked on a canjo and how it works as a reso.

Cheers,
    Steve
    • I know the Phrygian Kid and maybe some others around here have played around with strapping a mag pup to the neck on the inside of a tin/ license plate, etc.. The Kodak cans I have ARE ferrous, so that application should work (and I may try it myownself, very soon!) Not sure about actually mounting the pups on/through the face of the can, which is what i think you are talking about. Seems like that might compromise the resonation qualities of the resonator part of the gizmo.  But this gets me thinking... what about a 400' 35mm film can as a reso, mounted in a cigbox, with pups? I have a gazillion of those empty 400-footers. 

• Check out my experiments with found objects for resos: http://skeesixcbgs.com/blog-2/page/3/

About halfway down the page.

This reply was deleted.