Pickups

I've started my first ever cbg build and am loving it!

Just not sure now about pickups. I'm a bit uncertain about the whole electrical connection side of things and have looked on Ebay at my options. I've found a whole pre-wired set with a twin coil from China for a ridiculously low $12! (I'm on a tight budget)

Firstly, is it a safe assumption that at that price it'll be rubbish?

Secondly, I note from the pics on this site that practically nobody is fitting twin coils....why is that?

Any advice will be hugely appreciated!

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• First congrats on your first build!
    Your pickups aren't rubbish. But you may experience some problems with them. They may be microphonic. Means you can talk into them and hear yourself threw your amp. At low volumes this won't be an issue. However at high volumes or with distortion you'll squall like an angry flock of geese. The pots that came with it will be a different story. I'd expect them not to last long. However these are easy to swap out. Just remember where the wires went. It may well be a good idea to take a few pictures of the wiring. At that price the quality of the connections may not be there as well. If it does come apart on ya you'll know where everything goes.

As far as twin coils ( humbuckers ) it's a matter of personal choice.

• Do you think copper tape or some sort of shielding paint will help?

• You know, I have copper tape, and it's very handy for various stuff, but I've never felt the need to use it for shielding. Plus the pickups I make are all single coil thus far, which are far more prone to noise than humbuckers are. Basically, if you want to give it a try, go for it and see what you think :)

...but I bet you'll be making your own within 3 months...

• Thanks Richey

You're actually probably right. I like the idea of making everything....already made a slide from a wine bottle neck. Would like to look at making timber ones along with bridges. Then perhaps an amp and yes....winding my own pickups.

• Yes, you will... all that...  I started with acoustic/piezo guitars, which, sounded great acoustically but I never liked the sensitivity of the piezos. So, I started winding my own pickups.  I get great satisfaction from making everything I can by myself.  And it sounds like you will too.  ...My Dad does stained glass, so I will work with him to make a wine bottle neck slide....

• Hi Eric

So, how are your pickups sounding? Enjoying that process?

Have to say I'm loving the whole cbg community - always lots of advice and support!

• Below is the topic I opened about building my last pickup...

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/forum/topics/making-a-pickup

I really like building them myself.  Takes a while, but I'm always happy with the final product. 

Just finished practicing a little... they sound great... :)

Community is great as well.  Very supportive and helpful!

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying everything!

• Very cool. Really looking forward to doing this stuff myself. Havent even finished the first cbg build yet though so....one step at a time I guess....

• Wow - you really have been busy!....and maybe I can learn from your 'mistakes' ;-)Congratulations - they look great. How do they sound now?

This reply was deleted.