I have an Epiphone Dot Hollowbody that I am trying to convert to a slide gutar.

Am trying to swap in some Hotter humbucker pickups (Entwistles) .

Anyway the stock Humbuckers have 3 wires each. The guitar has a single volume and single tone and 3 way switch.  My new replacements have 5 wires each and the guy that was going to solder them in is

stumped.  Any way this can work?  I bought the pickups on ebay and have no schematic. 

Any help is much appreciated.  John

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Emails  forwarded.  Hope the schematic and diagrams attached to your copy.  Bottom line-- the Entwistle Darkstars are wired just like Seymore Duncans.   John
  • can you please forward me the email? i have a entwistle darkstar humbuckers neck and bridge to be installed at grg170dx.. send it at francis_b666@yahoo.com...thank you
  • Standardisation: Apparently it is completely foreign to pickup makers.

Lol

We need a "like" button for comments. Maybe you should use that as a signature Maw ("John" isn't specific enough in this particular thread).

• ps to john, I emailed for clarification from the Entwistle contact I was given. js 
  • My new ones are the Darkstars.  The schematic I got was from the 58 Humbucker, and I just assumed they were the same.  But now???????   At least I now have a couple of contacts to follow with.  FYI the email on the site apparently goes directly to Alan Entwistle who is the guru and he seems like a great, responsive guy.  John

• All this stuff puzzles me all the time so this is no change. Is yours an X3 or some other model? Maybe that is the difference. I understand that there is a little known concept called standardisation. Apparently it is completely foreign to pickup makers (and I am not meaning the ones who use this site, of course).

John Stevenson said:

Thanks John, I have a schematic forwarded from Entwistle.  And 2 emails.  They are saying black is hot just like the SD above.  Go figure.  My schematic is from the 58 Humbucker and not the Darkstar that I have.  I do have some Entwistle HDNs in my mini Les Paul. So I may have to pull those and look.  My HDNs give off a blistering tone by the way.  john

• Thanks John, I have a schematic forwarded from Entwistle.  And 2 emails.  They are saying black is hot just like the SD above.  Go figure.  My schematic is from the 58 Humbucker and not the Darkstar that I have.  I do have some Entwistle HDNs in my mini Les Paul. So I may have to pull those and look.  My HDNs give off a blistering tone by the way.  john

• Hi.

I have an Entwistle X3 (neck position) rail humbucker that I haven't used yet, but have tested. The wiring diagram shows red and white soldered together, black to ground and green to signal.

I hope this is of some help.

John

• Thanks  for all the replies.  I got an email back from the seller that confirms that it is just like the first Seymore Duncan diagram above.

Black is hot.  The Red and White are tied off.  Thanks again .  John 

• Hi John,

I found this link where somebody else had a similar problem with the wiring for Entwistle humbuckers

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2634920-Pickup-w.......

and this site explains how to work out the wiring using a simple multimeter

http://projectguitar.com/tut/pickupwiring.htm

Regards,

David

This reply was deleted.