Replies

• Hey Tom, I have the Fred Flintstone fingers too, it’s all good  :D 

• Try it with 10 thumbs! LOL

• Very ambitious undertaking. I always figured that with my big fat fingers, those tiny wires didn't stand a chance. Please report back and let us know how you did your setup and how it worked out. 

• Seems like thinner the bar, brighter the sound, a lot of rods on modern pickups are magnetized rather than magnetic, these are also on the bright side, alnico, always on the warm side- alnico 2 & 5 are most commonly used for vintage tone, alnico 2 is the warmer of the two? Will, there’s a TON of info out there, in fact too much to wade through in a single day, so start readin’ bud! My 2 cents, good luck, more will be revealed :) 

• Thanks Brian, I think right now I'm going to pickup (pun intended) one to get the feel of it. In the mean time I'm moving to a better location.

• Yes, you can use a solid bar, Danelectro  lipstick pickups are an oblong bar of alnico 2 wrapped in wire & tape just like you mentioned? Good luck & take your time, working with such thin wire is a little challenging at first, but like anything takes a little practice? :)

• Is there any advantage/disadvantage  of either (rod or bar).

This reply was deleted.