I am looking to build my first cigar box guitar over the summer however I have very little in the way of power tools etc.

I would like to build an electric version with  a single coil pickup and two sound holes. Is there a short cut method for creating the holes (both the sound holes and for the placement of the pickup), without using a routing tool. I would like it to be reasonably neat but I appreciate a short cut method would not produce the same results as a dedicated tool. If this is too difficult without dedicated tools then would someone be able to recommend a cheap tool for the job that is suitable for beginners.

Sorry about my ignorance but this is going to be my first build!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Doesn't really seem like a proper build if you haven't drawn blood at least once during the process.

• I know whenever I slip with a power tool or sharp object - lots of things become an "F hole"!!!

• A little patience and a sharp pocket knife go a long way in the world of CBGs. Enjoy your first build- it probably won't be your last!

Wade

• I used to feel the same way about cutting tools until a slip on a "F-hole" with a knife and a trip to the ER with a cut artery in my thumb, convinced me that drilling, sawing and sanding are more better options.... ;-)...heheheheheehehe.

• Ouch!!!! Some of my best builds have a bloody fingerprint on the inside of the box somewhere
      • I bet there was an "F" word said when that happened...
        • Yes, but I learn that quick servic in the ER happens when you walk in with a blood soaked towel and say "arterial bleed"!
          • I have a table saw "nibble" on my thumb that caused a similar trip. I have skin graft there now. Funny thing. The palms of your hands don't tan. The skin graft on my thumb does. Looks pretty disgusting all summer. And every once and a while, just to add insult to injury, it will grow one hair. So yah, I am all for drilling and sanding too.
  • I have found these for sale on ebay after following up on advice from Richey.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-X-WOOD-GIFT-BOXES-LARGE-PLAIN-MULTI-USE...

What do people think? The dimensions are 27.5 x 17.7 x 7.5. Ive been trying to decide what size I would like best and this seems to be a good start as its a little deeper than some of the cigar boxes that crop up constantly on ebay.

• Assuming these are inches and not cm, I'd cut em in half, cover each half with spruce or birch veneer. Two gits in one!
This reply was deleted.