Pick up advice

Planning on my second build, first attempt worked really well a 3 string effort with Piezo pick ups glued to the box lid.

This time I want to try a cheap single coil pick up meant for a 6 string electric guitar so it has 6 pick up dots, obviously on a 3 string none of these will line up with a string is this a problem? I am sure I have seen this type of pick up used by others.

Any help appreciated

Cliff

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I love the sound of a cheap chrome humbucker... String position does not seem to matter,,,,
  • 6  on a   3  is no  problem at all  .  and the  mag field  radiates out    , so   you dont  have to  have  the  poles  lined   up   right  over  the  strings  ,   they  will pick  up  (even     in-between  the poles)  . some folks think  it  sounds better    the closer  you  line them  up  ,  some folks say they  cant tell  . or  makes  no  difference  .    some folks like to  tilt the  pickup   or  angle  it  , so  it  looks like it  matches  and it lines  up  better  ,     and  also   it  will   set  the  tone  .     ie:top   angled towards    bridge  will   make  top  strings  brighter   and  bottom  warmer  .   /  toward  neck  vice versa .

hope that  helps . 

This reply was deleted.