Hi, here is a condensed version of the building steps for my Vintage Hubcap build. Called a UFO by some. Ha-ha.
I have made it into 5 parts, covering:
1 forming the ply rims.
2 Assembly of body, neck, and tail blocks.
3 more bodywork, and neck and heal assembly.
4 Neck work, setting up, making the peghead.
5 Fingerboard, fretting, fitting electrics…All done.
1- The sides and back are made of 3ply. Two strips [with the grain going across the strip. I use moisture and heat to help with the bend. The kerfing for the back stiffens up the sides and gives more gluing area for the back. A flat strip could be used instead of kerfing the timber.
I wanted to keep the vibration in the hubcap so the thick 12mm ring was added to the top of the body.
A body was used so that I could get some acoustic sound and any sound from the hubcap was not soaked up by my clothing when played close to the body. In other words, I did not want to plug it in all the time.
Please ask questions if I have not been clear…use HTML of course.
Hi, here is part 2 of this build.
The back is 3 ply cut and put aside for later. I laminated the neck block just so as to use up wood scraps. They are carefully radiused so as not to pull the body out of shape when glued up.
Once the top reinforcing 12mm ply is glued to the rims I fit the neck and tail blocks.
Any questions don’t forget to use the HTML tab.