Paint Lid Resonator....

I have several six string resonator guitars, but I really enjoy three-string slide so I decided to whip up a three string slider.

After looking around at available resonator cones, I decided to give the Gitty "Paint Can Lid" a try. The large 6" paint lid is a nice size for a three stringer and the fact that it has the rolled outer edge common on paint can lids makes it easy to mount. Just cut a 6 1/8" hole and drop it in until the rolled edge is seated to the top of your guitar. Pretty simple.

I used a hot rail humbucker (in a single coil package) along with a 500K audio pot and 0.047 uF cap for tone control

Sound? Some folk think that a resonator will not sound like a resonator with a magnetic pickup. Well, I can now testify to the fact that the mag pickup picks up all that "tinky" resonator sound. You can mellow out the tone a bit with the tone circuit, but you still can hear that sharp twang you associate with resonators.

It is a 24" scale guitar which is the same as my other daily players so it feels very familiar in the hands.

I think it will become another daily player.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Very nice.

• real nice ya got there.

• Nicely done!

• Hi Tom T, that's a nice clean looking build, looks great.

That cone looks more like a biscuit bridge cone than a paint tin lid, must sound a lot better, I like it. It's a pity the Aussie dollar is not buying much in the states otherwise I would buy a few.

Taff

• HI Taffy. Gitty takes a standard paint can lid, mounts it in a lathe with a form/mold behind it, then use a ball shaped tool to slowly roll and stretch the paint lit into the mold, thus the biscuit cone shape. I think that the forming process of the steel can lit thins it a bit and builds in tension. That may be why it sounds nice.

You have a fully equipped shop down there, You should be able to build the needed forms and tools and knock out a few lids for your own use.

Give it a go.

• Hi, thanks for the info Tom. You guys are so lucky to have a supplier like Gitty at hand.

Taff

• Hi Taffy.

I met Ben Baker, the founder of C B Gitty a few years back at the Huntsville CBG Festival. They are a great group and do everything they can to promote CBG. I know Ben is always looking for growth opportunities. You should drop him a line and see if he is interested in a little export business at an affordable price in Aussie Dollars. I wouldn't be surprise if he was ready and willing. You might even become the Southern Hemisphere distributor (Always aim high).

This reply was deleted.