Hello all,

New to this site...have lurked for a while and have been inspred by the work here.

Built my fist CBG resonator..I have it set up on a 25-1/2" scale.

I'm to the point of putting strings on it. Not sure what to do here. Hoping some of your expereince will help.

Based on this set up, what strings would you use and what tunings would be best for what I've put together. I know there are options...I'll prolly add electronics later. Your opinions are highly valued considering my limited knowledge in building. 

Thanks!

Fish-o

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Things I don't know...would be cool to get some more sound out of it acoustically.
    Thanks!
  • NO master by the way, just my opinion.

• I may be worthwhile to put a hole in that steel dish to let more  of the sound into the box? (acoustically) Although if it is going to be primarily electric, this may be better? I have the top half of one of those soap trays, just waiting for a box that inspires me.

• Cool looking guitar. I look for potential guitar parts no matter where I go! I am so glad to see Kenis' post cause I'm doing a 4 string, but in nylon, Dgbe, but plan on spending most of the time dropping that e to d for some open G slide work on the nylons!

• I use standard medium gauge, the 4 highest strings: Dgbe and tune the e down to d. / The high e is usually a .013 but I replace it with a .016. This is not necessary, especially if you want to tune back up to standard too, but the heavier string seems to improve the tone for the slide considering we are tuning down. Enjoy your new build.       

• Nice build. I'm interested in hearing your resonator design. I like Open G (Dgbd)

• It's prolly not a true reso design in the technical sense really...just took the two soap dish parts drip part you see on top and tray below..inverted (flipped) the part with the drip holes...used a square u bolt to hold two pieces together...top of bolt is the bridge.
      The metal box/reso is then attached to the top...it's suspended inside for a little better vibration.
      It's got a tiney sound to it...but nothing like a true reso really.
      I also attached a dual piezo pickup to the bottom of the metal box.
      It sounds good plugged into a bass amp.
      That's about it really.
  • Well, I've been learning some songs and its made me have to learn some things about guitar playing that I did not know...
    Been fun....here is a tune.
    http://youtu.be/YssaIZAXYwk
  • 306093022?profile=original

• So I tried the lower set EADG
    And just didn't like the sound.
    (EJ16's) I guess the low vib doesn't do much for a small box.
    The highs on the other hand seem well suited and the guit has a nice little sound. I'm no guitar playing master...hack mostly. Had some pal guitar slingers check it out and they seemed pretty stoked about its playability.
    I do feel like I could get more acoustic sound out of it though.
    I'll need to bone up on how to do that.
    Thanks for the advice.
This reply was deleted.