Hello all,

New to this site...have lurked for a while and have been inspred by the work here.

Built my fist CBG resonator..I have it set up on a 25-1/2" scale.

I'm to the point of putting strings on it. Not sure what to do here. Hoping some of your expereince will help.

Based on this set up, what strings would you use and what tunings would be best for what I've put together. I know there are options...I'll prolly add electronics later. Your opinions are highly valued considering my limited knowledge in building. 

Thanks!

Fish-o

Views: 868

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

id go  with   #3  , 4 and 5   strings   .from  an   9's   or  10s  pack.    if adding  mag  pickup   use  electric  guitar strings  (steel)  ..  

if you are  going    piezo    or  acoustic    ..  med   acoustic ,   #3,4,5  . 

as   for tuning  ..  nothing  beats this simple method .  in  simplicity  anyway  ;-)

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/video/knotlennys-3string-cbg-101

Thanks for reply!

forgot to add...its a four string. Important bit of info huh?

lol   ..    yup  ..  and  im  the  wrong  guy  to  ask  fo  4  string  tuning  ..   i  get lost   in  it  . try   it  all,   and    end  up    ripping  off  a string  ;-)

You can use the 4-3-2-1 and tune it to D-G-B-e, just like the bottom 4 strings on a 6 string. That way the chords won't change on you.

Or you can use the top 4 and go with 6-5-4-3.

When you say you are going to add electronics later, it will make a difference whether or not you add a piezo pickup or a magnetic pickup. If you use a mag pup, then you will want to use electric guitar strings. For a piezo, it won't matter.

You could also drop the heaviest and lightest strings and tune something like A D F# A or G D G B, adjusting up or down if that's to tight or loose...  who the blue heck are them there masters

.032w, .024w, .018p, .013p, tune it D G B D..away you go...instant Muddy Waters & Keef Richards sounds.

By the way, it's not much help referring to strings as no. 3, 4, 5 etc from a set..as gauges vary so much - for example, the 3rd or G string can be as light as .015 or as heavy as. 026 depending what set you look at - that's a huge variation. It's much better to get to grips with the actual gauge sizes (measured in thousands of an inch). As regards "masters" of cigarbox guitar making, I don't know if there are many around...if any. It's a hit and miss craft at best, not an exact science, and that's the joy of it.

The Ikea Reso!
Thanks for the advice...I'll report back my results.
Yup Ron...started collecting boxes and wood...had in mind a resonator of sorts...the girl conned me into an ikea outing...ugggh! I thought....So I made the best of it. Ended up walking out with this two piece soap dish for 6 bucks..top turned upside down on the drip tray and held together with the u-bolt / bridge.
Actually found a few cheap things there...guitar part shopping def. made the trip a bit more tolerable.
Yep...everything at Ikea look like git parts now...even the checkout butcher block counter tops;-)
Nice looking reso!

I must admit I look for bits to make guitars with when I go to Ikea - I guess if they realised they would be tapping into this potential market and selling flat packed box guitars (and they would come in 3 colors - natural pine, beech and dark oak). Though to be honest any shops I go into I look in terms of what I can use for a CBG. All Part of the addiction I guess.

I am in no way a master and once you have played around a while you will find what works best for you and the reso.

For myself for my 4 string I went with DGBe because;

It is easy to find many songs already in chord or tab format on the www ( eg http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/) which are easy to play by just cutting the 2 strings you have dropped from the tab.

If you want to try slide playing it is easy to retune the strings to open G tuning DGBd (only the small e is drop tuned to a d). This site shows some of the chords http://www.alanhorvath.com/Gchart.php

I could stick to 4 strings from a balanced set of 6 strings for a regular guitar and not be concerned about what note a particular string could be tuned to. (I started using electric 9s but now prefer electric 10s).

But mine was not a reso and you might find the sound from the Bass strings more appealing in which case I would try EADG from a set of 6. (DGDG for open G tuning from the link above - this way for open tuning the strings are dropped tuned and no string is too tight putting less stress on the CBG).

Regards,
David
So I tried the lower set EADG
And just didn't like the sound.
(EJ16's) I guess the low vib doesn't do much for a small box.
The highs on the other hand seem well suited and the guit has a nice little sound. I'm no guitar playing master...hack mostly. Had some pal guitar slingers check it out and they seemed pretty stoked about its playability.
I do feel like I could get more acoustic sound out of it though.
I'll need to bone up on how to do that.
Thanks for the advice.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

Doug Thorsvik posted a video

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

Cigar Box Guitar Slingers - Spokane, 195th Zoom Mtg 03/25/24. Only 1-finger chords, free songbooks here: https://www.cbgslinger.com/download CBG SOF Songbook...
1 hour ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Thank you Poorness ! for loving it ! appreciated!"
17 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to Timothy Hunter's discussion just came accross this pickup idea on youtube.
" Very interesting. Thank you Timothy!"
17 hours ago
Kent Thurston updated their profile
18 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Punch Project!

She now sports gold metal CBGitty knobs, speaker and an Artec 2.5 watt speaker. Finished this in…
19 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Project Punch!

Gonna finally get back on this long-delayed project that is more than half complete. (The matching…
19 hours ago
Poorness Studios liked A.D.EKER's video
21 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Rob (Uker) Porras
"Hope this helps?"
21 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"I appreciate the kind words Papa D! I have always loved the look of these cigar boxes. Glad to have…"
yesterday
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
yesterday
A.D.EKER posted a video

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

The recorded History By Alan Lomax for the library of Congres of the Blues, from Mc Kinley Morganfield (Aka Muddy Waters) the in this take recorded Tribute ...
yesterday
Papa D commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"Beautiful..Nice work Doug.."
yesterday

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->