Hi 

I’m really green with learning CBGs (never played anything with strings before).

I’ve done okay learning a couple of simple songs, but I’m not have a lot of luck getting real clean notes when I try to use on finger across all three strings.

Any tips on hand/finger placement, exercises, etc for Barre technique?

I seem to be improving a bit by partially laying another finger on top of the one providing pressure.  The box of my guitar is small, so I’m playing it banjo-style in between my legs with the neck more upright—this seems to help my fingers get more easily parallel to the frets.  Maybe it’s just practice to build strength and flexibility—any suggestions appreciated.

thanks, TW

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Why are you all talking in currency? Ha ha, knowing how many dimes to the inch would help me understand. Do you guys have credit cards and small change all over your benches? 

Taff

• LOL Taff, we can't afford fancy rulers! Mostly us married guys all of us have change in a jar. Guess I could come up with an equivalent chart for different currencies. :-)

• I use a dime on 1st fret and a quater on 12 to start out and it puts me in the ballpark.

• Thanks again,

By the coin standards:

the gap at the first fret—on the guitar I bought online—is bigger than the thickness of a dime...on the thin G string this gap is equal to a dime and a credit card.

the gap at the 12th fret is taller than the thickness of two quarters (at the thin G string the gap is two quarters and a credit card thick).

Too high ? Worth adjusting?

Thanks again,

TW

• Personally I'd lower the bridge, imo your action is a little high and plays hell on intonation by stretching the strings when fretting, with a slide you might be ok. Just my 2cents.

• ECF23F16-D028-4F55-A1D3-0C7CDBB80960.jpeg

Hi guys,  

There’s probably a better place to post this sketch...but I bought a CBG and the string height seems high to me (but I’m new to this hobby).

Do you think it action, etc may be making bar chords more difficult?  

Or are these measurements ok?

Is it worth sanding down the bridge a bit under 1/8”?

thanks for any help,

TW

• hi Tim, I don't work in those numbers but anyway a couple of points that will help you under stand.

Question first.... Did you build this guitar or buy it ready made?  The reason I ask is if ready made the reason for this high action I have found is that the manufacturer finds it easier to leave the strings high than to do proper levelling of the frets. Customers ask me to lower the strings on their new guitars only to find they are up for a fret dress job as well.

So... to start with you need all your frets level, recrowned and polished.

To level the frets the neck/fingerboard has to be flat before you start.

Then you can look at lowering the strings at the bridge and at the nut.

The measurements should be taken from the top of a fret to the underside of the string.

Usually these measurements are in fractions of an inch [I think its called] at the 12 fret, for a six string acoustic guitar for example 7/64 bass string 5/64 treble. Electric guitars have lower actions than this. And there are many variations as there are players and guitars, but that's ball park.

Fretting the 12 fret and the first fret I look for clearance under the 7 fret of around .008"                 [8 thousandths of an inch]. That's if you have an adjustable rod in the neck. With a cbg you get what you got.  At the nut a starting point around 0.020 high. But often these tolerances are not achievable on some or all instruments.

String Hight effects playability and playing in tune. be careful lowering the bridge as that can lead to other issues.

Taff 

• Hi
    Thanks for all the advice everyone.
    I think I need to work on technique and finger strength...but I’ve also realized that the action on my guitar is very high. I’m going to see if I can sand down the bridge a bit to lower the strings.

Thanks again.
  • To reiterate what Taff was saying, in Jr high orchestra Mr Davis our instructor told us to hold the neck of the instrument as if we were holding a very ripe peach between the thumb and fingers,  not our palm!

While we're on the subject of strings and fingers, any suggestions on how to toughen up the fingertips? Mine are so sore, that I don't want to play.

• There's a technique that I teach. Place you finger on the string as lightly as you can. Then as you pick press down slowly. As soon as you hear a clear note lift you finger. Now press your finger down with only the pressure needed to make that clear note. Do this with all four finders on the left hand. Keep doing it till you remember the feel and can play this lightly automatically. 

This reply was deleted.