Hey folks, new to the whole CBG thing but I just recently built a couple.  One is tuned to Low Open G (GDG) and I thought I'd tune the second to something different just to mix it up.  Any suggestions that will offer me the greatest flexibility?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• G,D,G is my fav tuning with some bronze wound string's try Cbgitty's blues blaster's me personally I LOVE the sound with that tuning and those sting's,...... another is D,A,D however I use a lighter string for that with a bronze wound and 2 plain steel

• You in the South? I dig those Summer kitchens that have everything (stove, fridge, sink, etc) right out back on the porch. LOL Enjoy.  

• Keni - thanks, I'll let Santa know.

Oh, and "shop" - that's a hoot.  My shop is my back deck.  I only work in good weather!!

• Hopefully, old Keni Lee is not going anywhere soon...LOL...so purchase them at your leisure. Although, you bring up a good question. I learned to play 6 string guitar using open tunings first, then I applied this knowledge to CBGs with their limited strings. The CDs are quite self contained, so you can start anywhere. Some information overlaps, but in general as a whole course the big picture will get clearer and clear as you work through the various CDs.

For instance, Open G tuning on a 6 string is DGDgbd. I basically break it in half. 3 string GDg and 4 string Dgbd. So, if you learn CBG first, you can apply it to 6 string. Or vise versa.

One thing I do suggest, while working in your shop, watch / listen to all the lessons like a TV show from beginning to end without your guitar. This will make the lessons easier to work through.

If you are planning to focus on CBG first, purchase 3 CD Set # 2. Later you can learn more by applying it to 6 string. 3 CD Set #1.

Thank you for your interest and question. Enjoy, Keni Lee 

• Keni - not trying to put you on the spot from a marketing/sales standpoint, but would it behoove me to get the whole set or simply get the later cd's that focus specifically on CBG's.  Seems like there's a bit of music theory early on that might be helpful even if I never touch a 6-string...

Keni Lee Burgess said:

Well, just be a good boy and leave old Santa a cold beer and a bag of chips, and I am sure he will take good care of ya. LOL Enjoy.

• Well, just be a good boy and leave old Santa a cold beer and a bag of chips, and I am sure he will take good care of ya. LOL Enjoy.

•  

Here are some combinations that should keep you busy for a while.

3 string tunings

Open A: AEa
    Open Bflat: Bb F bb
    Open B: B F# b
    Open C: C G c
    Open C#: C# G# c#
    Open D: D A d
    Open D#: D# A# d#
    Open E: E B e
    Open F: F C f
    Open F#: F# C# f#
    Open G: G D g
    Open G#: G# D# g#

• Thanks Keni - hoping <fingers crossed> ol' Santa brings me your cd's this Christmas!

Keni Lee Burgess said:

Please check out my instructional video CDs:

CD 4 (GDg tuning) and CD 6 (ADf# tuning)

Using the same strings, you just retune from GDg to ADf#.

I teach a method of movable chords that functions very similar to a 6 string approach.

You can also tune ADf for Open D minor.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/njmikeb/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from...

Please feel free to write if I can be of further assistance.

Enjoy your practice, Keni Lee 

• Please check out my instructional video CDs:

CD 4 (GDg tuning) and CD 6 (ADf# tuning)

Using the same strings, you just retune from GDg to ADf#.

I teach a method of movable chords that functions very similar to a 6 string approach.

You can also tune ADf for Open D minor.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/njmikeb/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from...

Please feel free to write if I can be of further assistance.

Enjoy your practice, Keni Lee 

This reply was deleted.