Replies

• Why not save the old guitar and just make a strumstick?

• I already have a srumstick. I wanted to make an electric one out of the old guitar. I also have an old electric bass I was also wondering if it could be made into a delcimer or four string guitar

• Hi Randy Burks,

Strumsticks use a subset of frets found on a guitar, so to turn a guitar into a "strumstick", you will need to remove some frets and some strings. I'd keep the three thinnest strings (i.e. strings 1-3). Consult the following chart to see what guitar frets map to the diatonic fretboard of the strumstick. The resulting instrument won't sound like a strumstick, but it will be easier to learn as it uses the diatonic fret layout. The notes that are available are the ones you know from the Sound of Music song that goes, "Doe, a deer, a female deer", etc. The accidental notes are ignored. The tuning for strumsticks is generally either G-D-G' or D-A-D'. 240094716?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Another thing you could try is to use six stings aranged in three courses of 2  (i.e. two set of guitar strings 1-3 arranged 3-3, 2-2, and 1-1 and tuned to GG-DD-G'G' or DD-AA-D'D'). This will require a change in the string spacing, with the dual strings spaced 1/8" apart. This means a new bridge and new nut. Something you could try later.

Think twice before deciding to yank those frets. An alternate method is to remove your strings and then apply black indelible ink to the frets that are NOT used in the diatonic fret board layout. Then re-string your instrument. This way you can see which frets are diatonic and which are unique to chromatic. Then when you are ready for chromatic, you'll know where the "new" frets are.

-Rand.

• Thanks for the help

This reply was deleted.