The box is 13.75''L X 10.50"W X 2.50"D

If I were to use a common 24.5" or 25.5" Scale length and placed the bride, say, a 1/3 (4.58") up from the tail end, it would give me an approx 16" - 17" (respectively) neck to the nut...right? seems like an awfully short neck for the size of this box. The overall proportions just dont seem right at those scale lengths. Is there another scale length i should consider?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yes it is :) I have 2 of them too. I cant afford a lowecone but I do have a bundt cake pan. A double neck has crossed my mind. I think I going to attempt a 5 string reso banjo with the second box.

Jef Long said:
    thats an awesomely big box...
    it wants a lowecone..
    no wait..
    it wants to be a double neck...
    no.. an upright bass....
  • thats an awesomely big box...
    it wants a lowecone..
    no wait..
    it wants to be a double neck...
    no.. an upright bass....
  • Ok well.... I was going to do baritone but, I miscut my last length of maple. Im not running out to get more then have to wait a few days to allow it to acclumate. Sooooo....25" scale it is!
  • Thanks

surffrogg said:
    baritome is about 30 to 31 tenor i believe is 27 inch

Tracy Kennedy said:
    Baritone? Bass scale...30" + ?

surffrogg said:
    u could always go with a baritone or tenor scale y b ur not locked into just the standard choices
  • baritome is about 30 to 31 tenor i believe is 27 inch

Tracy Kennedy said:
    Baritone? Bass scale...30" + ?

surffrogg said:
    u could always go with a baritone or tenor scale y b ur not locked into just the standard choices
  • Im going to have to mock up different scale lengths to figure out wich direction to go with this build. I have two of these boxes. One may go for the double neck contest but Im too new at this for compitition, I think. I was also pondering a long neck reso / banjo, 5 string.....I know, Im off my rocker!
  • No, it's not short. Don't forget the headstock, as far as overall proportions!
  • Baritone? Bass scale...30" + ?

surffrogg said:
  • Yes, Zin Master, hehehe

jim said:
    the trick is to , be the box
  • the trick is to , be the box
This reply was deleted.