Replies

• Mike, here’s a link about fretboards & fretting, some tutorials too?  there’s a link all the way down right side of the page to the Cigarboxguitar.com archives, there are some articles about necks, fretting & everything between, check it out? https://www.cigarboxguitar.com/knowledge-base/category/fretting/

• THanks, Taff. Sorry it took sooooooo long to reply and thank you, But then I was reminded by a kind soul of "The Glich"....so here...

yes the second question was expressed badly.. I guess because I didn't take in account if it was going to be fretless for playing slide, wood burned or metal marked frets.
    I'm just ready to start on my second commission. The maple board is 36" long

anyway, thanks again and I'll post some photos; or maybe a video!!

Mike

• Michael I see you’re not aware of the site’s glitch?

8021148897?profile=RESIZE_710x

• Hi Mike, If you have the fret layout then measure from the nut to the 12th fret and double it, that would be the scale length. You may need compensation [a little extra length] for better in tune playing if fingering the frets.

I cant answer the second part of your question as scale lengths vary depending on builder, playing style and/or box size. The only guiding factor I consider is, will the bridge sit in sweet spot on the box top. Which for me is where there the top will vibrate most when excited by the strings. I use 25" and/or 25.5" but that's not set in concrete.
    Cheers Taff

This reply was deleted.