I built my first CBG in about 10 builds where I used a straight neck instead of a scarf joint for a neck angle, and now I really appreciate the benefits of an angled neck.  I did not cut the neck low enough in relation to the surface of the fingerboard, and now the tuners are sticking up to the level where the strings are too high and are popping out of the slots I cut for the nut.

I know I can fix this if I put something in front of the nut (on the neck side) to push the strings down, and was looking for suggestions.  I could probably use those "U" shaped nails (no idea what they are called), but wondered if anybody in the Nation had a better solution.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I used small eye screws I got at Ace Hardware.  Just drilled 4 pilot holes and screwed them in.  Easy fix, looks nice too.
  • Use screw in brass or steel eyes to hold the strings down.Or stick a layer of wood to the back of the headstock to lower the tuners
  • Thanks for the post Dave. I just recently decided to take the plunge and do my first build. I'm still waiting on some of the parts to arrive which I want to use in my design but while preparing the neck I have already realized I was running into the same problem you are experiencing with a straight neck and turning machines being too high. I appreciate all the good ideas from everyone.

I have the box, neck and turners so I started yesterday. I don't have a lot of time to work on it and I'm slow anyway. But with everyone's advice I'll get there. What a learning experience.

• i have always had success with tiny little eye screws from the hobby store

Cheers!

• P1010064.jpgunbelievable, two days after i put that pic there i had to make another, my first in 6 months or more.   Using up an old neck that was lying around..  When you have a bandsaw and a linsiher you can make something like this in minutes.   Make sure you use nice meaty screws wont you?
  • Lots of good ideas. I've been using tie-wraps, but on a 3-stringer, the middle string is not as effectively held down, so I wedge in a pick (with the intention of some day fashioning something more suitable).  Wade's idea sounds like the one I'll try next: two eye bolts on either side of the head and a cross piece made of a long threaded bolt. Thank you, all.

-Rand.

• 2 screw eyes on each side of the headstock and a threaded bolt throught the 2 holes worked for me.
  • Badda Bing!

-WY

• 305717831?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024I ended up using the eyebolts and they worked great.  Thanks for he help everybody.
  • I use the smallest eyebolt that i can get in the picture hanger section ...  U can kinda plot em out as the where u want em to go ,,I think that it makes the whole set up look nice ,, u can make em a triangler ,, or oval outline   I really like it ...

course the "extra upside down"nut we just saw really has my attention

This reply was deleted.