Newbie - seeking best parts supplier

In the spirit of CBG building where anything goes I built my first guitar more or less with 1 x2 neck, the box and some wood working skills. But I bought the tuners, pickup etc from Stewmac as I had no other source I could say save ebay. Any recommendations re tuners, strings , pickups and various hardware bits you can recommend. I find stewmac $$$ especially shipping to Canada. Great site, can't play worth a damn but I love the spirit here.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Pawn shops are great sources for parts. The one I go to has plastic storage bins with replacement tuners for $8/set as well as nuts, bridges, saddles, bridge pins, jack plates, etc.... not to mention Martin Acoustic Strings are only $3.29. Try one out.
  • Check out this discussion for some ideas on fretting, fret saws, and where to find them cheaply:

Link

I highly recommend checking out the various groups, found under the "classrooms" link. All sorts of great how-to tips and advice in there.
  • HI C.B. , Thanks for the info, I will order fret wire from you. Do you sell fret saws or know anyone who does?. btw my first cbg had hickory dowl frets pressed into a slot cut by my router.

C. B. Gitty said:
    Peter:

I've made a little barely profitable side-business out of selling sets of fret wire for cheaper than you can get them at StewMac. If you're interested in doing some gits with frets, give me a holler and we can work something out. I don't charge more for shipping to canada.

CBGitty
  • Also check out JustStrings.com for cheap strings. If you click the Bulk Strings link, you'll see that you can get 12 plain steel strings from .008 to .024 guage for $2.90/12. That's pretty cheap! Wound strings are of course more. I find it's handy to have a good range of the plain steel strings on hand when trying out a new instrument that usually has a non-standard scale length.
  • Peter:

I've made a little barely profitable side-business out of selling sets of fret wire for cheaper than you can get them at StewMac. If you're interested in doing some gits with frets, give me a holler and we can work something out. I don't charge more for shipping to canada.

CBGitty
This reply was deleted.