Hi,

Sorry of this has been covered before but I have looked and can't find it.

I am looking to make two Diddley Bpws - one 2 string and the other 4 string and want to make it electric - can anyone tell me what I need in order to make it electric - do I need switches, wire, pots etc etc.

Thanks in advance

Alan

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Diddley bows only have one string. Multiple strings on the same type of "slide only" instruments are really more like a Lap Steel guitar. And yep a piezo disc and a jack will make it wail like crazy!

• Second that...I've experimented with volume and tone pots, but my favorite sounding gits are just a piezo and a jack. Need some kind of adhesive to attach the piezo and encase it to prevent feedback and to mellow the tone a little (icepick tones are cool, but thermonuclear-mega-icepick tones not so much). Simpler is better, especially starting out. Then you can gradually go insane in several directions...extremes of woodworking, super-fancy wiring, various styles of playing, etc.

• Thank you for the reply - that helps a lot.  I feel very excited about getting into this.  Thanks to the other two replies too.  I shall look at the plans on the website

• all  you  really need   ,  to  make it electric  is a  piezo  and a   jack .  

or   a pickup  and a jack  . 

you  should be able to  find  a piezo  in  any musical  xmas card   ,,   or  almost any  think  that    beeps  ..  and  old  head phone  jack  may   work  to  plug  into  .

or   you  can buy   pre-wired   units ,    piezo  and/or pickup  from  gitty  here  , he  even has some  with  volume and tone  controls.  (if in stock) 

• This would be the first place i would suggest visiting is here.. http://www.cigarboxnation.com/page/free-plans  also I would do searches on the instrument your thinking on building...you can find the search engine on the main page top right corner.

Welcome, and happy building.

This reply was deleted.