Hi all, I'm a first timer from the UK and I would love to share my first project with you and ask some advice. I'm building a fretless three string guitar from bits of hardwood from old furniture for the neck and ply and pine for the resonator. I chose to build the box from scratch as I was having difficulty finding a decent cigar box. As you will see from the photos I have shaped the neck, yardstick and heal from one piece of white oak to which I have laminated a mahogany fret board. This leads me onto my first question: my board is currently 8mm, is this to thick? Should it be more like 6mm? Second question: what is the optimal action for slide? And optimal distance from string to soundboard? Third and final for now: My machine head shafts are a little short, should I countersink into the back of my headstock, or reshape the top of the yardstick to make it narrower. Please have a look at the pictures I've posted and feel free to comment / offer advice. Thanks in advance

2014-03-19 06.19.08.jpg

2014-03-19 06.19.42.jpg

2014-03-19 06.21.28.jpg

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If you don't have frets, the string height won't be an issue... As long as it s high enough that your slide doesn't hit the neck while you're playing. I suggest using a threaded machine bold as a nut. That way, if the string height it too high or too low, you can use a larger or smaller circumference bolt. Keep switching them until you find one that is 'just right' for you.
  • Just wanted to share a few pics of the painted body with sound hole covers. 4 coats acrylic matt black followed top coat of Danish oil. Sorry for photo quality, light in my workshop at this time of day isn't great.

2014-04-02 05.56.51.jpg

2014-04-02 05.57.20.jpg

2014-04-02 05.59.14.jpg

• The sound hole covers look great against the black finish. Are they sink strainers?

• Thanks Andy. Yeah £1.50! For a pack of 4.
        • Bargain! I've just put some brass eyelet / grommets on my first build's sound holes. They are a bit smaller than I thought they would be but still look ok for the size of box. Will leave them for now but will definitely try the strainers in the future.

• Yeah they are a bargain and do look great. It was either that or brass eyelets as you have used. Any pics?
            • Just the one at the moment. Did a dry fit a few days ago to check the action and that everything was ok before finishing the neck. Just got a temporary bridge in the photo and need to mess about with it to get the action down a bit although as it is fretless not too worried about that!

CBG 1 - test fit

• Looking great. I actually really like the look of the grommets. Are you going electric?
                • Cheers Sasquatch! I was planning to put a piezo pickup in it although I was surprised at how loud it was acoustically. Always good to have the option of putting it through an amp though.

• Looking good

This reply was deleted.