Replies

• The exacution off the new swap builds is indeed new but the ideer of having multiple pickups in a Guitar is not that new we had that in the 80 allready  having tree(3) or more differend  pick-ups in one guitar, to have multiple sounds in one guitar, its a nice feature but i do not see players use it, its nice for a demo, but not practical for stage or studio use, its not realy nessesary, the element is the change and that you can do whit practicly all other as well , if it bee a guitar, tone switch, or other effect ! so to bee its a bit overstated !

• Nothing new under the sun, Right?

So, your on stage and you only have this new Modular guitar to change into different ones. Then a string breaks or they go flat, what are you going to do? Haha

• I have seen a few similar ideas. This is the first one I saw 

3418810141?profile=RESIZE_710x

More recently I saw a demo video by Justin Johnson

https://youtu.be/QHgAPjI-b0w

I have watched this on 3 different devices and to my ears the different pickups all sound the same.  I would be interested in other opinions (maybe it is my tone deaf ears?)

This design keeps the appearance of a normal guitar.

https://youtu.be/9P7HTyxZPqI

..and another variation

https://youtu.be/M_fqLR0dRTw

From the various sound clips I have listened to the widest tonal variation comes from the addition of a piezo.  Much cheaper than any of the above :0)

• I've seen those too and they make a good test bed guitar for trying different things. At least they use a wood neck and wood body.

I like to have options on my guitar, but there comes a point when there's just to many options that get in the way.

If you have to continually change things out, the connections will wear out.

• I was interested in building a box guitar in which I could try different pickups (a personal interest is trying to get as many tones as possible from one guitar)

As usual life tends to get in the way but so far

3418844437?profile=RESIZE_710x

• 3418845200?profile=RESIZE_710x

Still much to do wiring, volume, tone and piezos and varnishing.  Longest time was spent on how to keep the plywood squares in place.  I was going to use magnets but then found these mini clips on eBay.

• That's a cool way of doing a quick change. You can use "bullet connectors" for quick change electronics.

• Wow! I hadn't seen this. It looks like a pretty amazing design... espeically for that price. I'm not sure how much mojo they'll have ;-) but the design is certainly well thought out. That said, I'm not sure guitar players will love it as 90% of a guitar is about aesthetics and feel (to most players anyway). Still, I have to admire the engineering.

• I really admire the switch-ability engineering. If they would only work that out with wood, I'd be all over it.

• Somebody makes one of these modular guitars about every few years since the later 60’s & they’re still not catching on?

This reply was deleted.