Made this over the weekend for a Clemson fan, anchored the strings down with some sheet metal screws into the through part of the neck. It stays in tune fine, but was wondering if going through the neck and using brass guides to eliminate strings cutting the neck, would that keep my string action lower. The screws have worked good but the action seems high.

image.jpg

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have used a bunch of things. The roll pins work pretty well. 

But my favorite are expended brass. 

306239769?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• 306241601?profile=RESIZE_480x480

• Thanks for all the tips, I'll try a few and let y'all know how it goes. Thanks again
    • I use little steel roll pins or tension pins. hardware store, they work great!

IMG_1334.JPG

• I like to use a piece of fret wire with holes drilled right behind it to retain the strings.  I think it looks fine and works great.  Keeps the angle of the strings across the bridge as steep as you like it too.

830409_317851011651712_781739462_o.jpg

Here's another way I like.  :)

241269982?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• 306243218?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

and as    dan  said  ..   nut  and  bridge  height , and even  fret board  height  .    = string  height    in playing area  .    

• Have used brass screw-in inserts, pop rivets, and spoke nipples. I'd drill completely through the neck at your screw locations, install pop rivets on both sides, then shave your bridge / saddle combo down a millimeter at a time until you get the action lowered. Then do a bit at the nut as well. Start small.
  • Bicycle spoke nipples work good too.

• I use half inch pop rivets for string anchors, remove the pin and tap them in from beneath where the string goes in, make a snug fit usually 3mm. (-:

306241621?profile=original

• This is the method I've been using as well (Pop Rivet) Seems to work fine.

This reply was deleted.