can you attach a separate piece of wood for a headstock and a separate piece for the neck and will it break under stress for a 4 stringer??

It all started when...........
I was putting together my deluxe kit( sorry MR Dukes) and dove tailed the end where the machine heads are, and the curve caused one of the
machine heads to bend, now it won't tighten the string. So can I lop of
the whole headstock and glue a new one on??? or will it snap under pressure I need ideas here folks this is only my second build.

note photo with graphics the dotted line is where I was thinking of cutting off the neck, and adding a new one.

Picture 134.jpg

Picture 140.jpg

Picture 132.jpg

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Maybe you could just put a shim or spacer under the tuner and use a longer screw to use it as it is? Or just remove that tuner and use it as a 3 stringer. You could fill the hole or use it as a hanger!

• I would take some wood from the back of the head till the tuner will sit flat. Looking at the pictures it would not take alot and you could re finish it. You would never know. Scarf joints are great when you have the neck free and before caving square and flat so to say. When carved I would find it hard to cut and get the other angle to match up. you only need 3 to 5 mill off. Sand it back and save your self a lot ot time and pain. Then play that baby!

Dave

• i was going to leave a reply then i noticed i was 2 yers too late lol !

• Thanks anyway, thought that counts right
  • Ok so here it is 2012 feb 29 and I solved my issue I cut the headstock off and did a scarf joint. Three yrs ltr it is still holding up. Conclusion......scarf joint if done correctly can hold the strain of four stringer.
  • yeah that was my first thought but I wound up cutting the headstock off all together, my goal was to build something aesthetically pleasing.

Micah Haley said:
    It won't be pretty but...

I looks like you just need a small shim under that tuner so it has a flat surface to mount to.

That way it wont warp when you tighten the screws.

Kartereo said:
    it will just bend again because of how I shaped the neck

Diane in Chicago said:
    Can't you just put on a new tuner? Is it not tightening because the tuner is bent and the gears no longer work?
  • It won't be pretty but...

I looks like you just need a small shim under that tuner so it has a flat surface to mount to.

That way it wont warp when you tighten the screws.

Kartereo said:
    it will just bend again because of how I shaped the neck

Diane in Chicago said:
    Can't you just put on a new tuner? Is it not tightening because the tuner is bent and the gears no longer work?
  • glued new headstock on, it deff wasn't easy but I made it wider than my last and it has given me more cosmetic options..will post pics when done
  • I understand what your saying. I know that with CBG's "there are no rules" This build was for me a chance to build not just a functioning CBG but A good looking one too. leaving the screw out would put my OCD into overdrive. My first build was just make it work, this one is do that plus add some eye candy.. thanks for the ideas, I wound up doing the scarf joint and reinforcing it with dowels I will post pics when im done. the lesson here is, there maybe no rules but until you know what your doing there should be plans..had I done that I would not be in my current situation. but you guys didn't disappoint and provided good advice, Ty guys.

Ben said:
    I really think you're missing the obvious. A missing screw is the simplest solution. Creating a nice, clean scarf is not nearly as simple as leaving off a screw on the back of the headstock. I'm beginning to think that maybe I'm not understanding what the problem is. It seems like its that you bent the tuner by tightening down the screw over the curved part of the headstock. I would think the simple solution would be...don't bend the tuner by tightening down the screw. If you're set on getting rid of the wood then yes, the scarf joint is the NEXT simplest idea.

Kartereo said:
    yeah im thinking scarf joint is a simple solution, I don't want this project to look like doodoo when im done...

Ben said:
    I vote for Matt's second idea. The tuners that have have 2 screws are overkill. You only need one to keep it from spinning in place (then you have extras for various applications). 2 makes it look more finished, but if you're going for functionality, you only need 1. It might be easier to try this and if it doesn't work, THEN you can start surgery.
  • I really think you're missing the obvious. A missing screw is the simplest solution. Creating a nice, clean scarf is not nearly as simple as leaving off a screw on the back of the headstock. I'm beginning to think that maybe I'm not understanding what the problem is. It seems like its that you bent the tuner by tightening down the screw over the curved part of the headstock. I would think the simple solution would be...don't bend the tuner by tightening down the screw. If you're set on getting rid of the wood then yes, the scarf joint is the NEXT simplest idea.

Kartereo said:
    yeah im thinking scarf joint is a simple solution, I don't want this project to look like doodoo when im done...

Ben said:
    I vote for Matt's second idea. The tuners that have have 2 screws are overkill. You only need one to keep it from spinning in place (then you have extras for various applications). 2 makes it look more finished, but if you're going for functionality, you only need 1. It might be easier to try this and if it doesn't work, THEN you can start surgery.
This reply was deleted.