I have been given a couple old hubcaps (rather heavy) which I want to build into 3-stringers. Many questions:

1. Is there an online tutorial you can point me to?

2. What are some good ways to attach the neck?

3. I will have to purchase tools for metal working... thinking a Dremel. Which model should I consider?

Any additional pointers greatly appreciated!!

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• IMG_1906.jpg

• Easy peasy T :)

• Hi T-G, just posted the first of a series of build photos that may give you some ideas to use, now or in the future.
    Cheers Taff

• Hi T-Gripped

If you dont want to make a drum just replace it with a thick ply disc.

For mounting the pickup you could just add a recessed block to the neck like on Yorrick here.10972873499?profile=RESIZE_710x10972873873?profile=RESIZE_710x10972874453?profile=RESIZE_710x 

• Taffy--Thanx for checking in!! I have not yet attempted any construction... still cogitating. The neck-build-up pix that Michael Fred Johnson posted are helpful.

I am not really wanting to build a separate drum however. And I'm still a bit fuzzy on how to attach the hubcap to the neck. 

Currently planning to mount a single coil pup to the neck. 

• Hey T-Gripped, did you get started on your hubcap guitar, do you need more info?
    Taff

• Thank you for sharing these! Very helpful!!
  • The neck is built up to the correct height to match the dome on the hub cap10918553064?profile=RESIZE_710x

• The heel. The hub cap is intact, sitting on the drum under string pressure, no cutting needed10918549893?profile=RESIZE_710x

• The tail10918549483?profile=RESIZE_710x

This reply was deleted.