I am new to the cigar box world and to the guitar playing world in general.  I received a 4 string cigarbox guitar for Christmas this past year and I am yearning to learn to play it.  I have not been able to find a good resource to teach me the chords on the 4 string.  Can you provide such resource so I can learn the chords?  I currently have it tuned to G-D-B-G.  Please advise/help.  Thanks.
Bill Ray
Bastrop, Texas

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi, Ray .    As a old player of CBGs and guitar , knowing "my" limitations, I would use the four smallest strings out of a six string set.    Which in standard tuning ,on a six string, are tuned to  D G B E .    Which are the same notes the baritone ukulele are tuned to . (the ukulele's notes are higher ,but the same notes)       Then it can be played like a six string ,minus the two bass strings.... or..... like a baritone ukulele.    That opens up all the resources for standard guitar and baritone ukulele .     D G B E  strings can also be tuned to  open tunings used on a six string, minus the two bass strings.       Again , this is "what I would do" .           Best of luck learning your four string, whatever route you take .   You are in for a lot of fun !        

• I made this chart for another member. The strings are in a different order, but it works if you switch them.

image.jpeg

• 306559321?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• Just follow the section on the far right and remember that the string tuned to B is your 3rd in a chord. So frets that have all notes fretted are 1-5-1 and you can fret that other string to add the 3rd.

This reply was deleted.