Necks

Starting to think  that  maybe I'm  making my necks too  thick. I think it  carried over  from my 2 string bass (from the free plans). I  start with 2x2 poplar or oak, trim it down to 1 inch, and then  add a fretboard.

Just got Shane's book, and am a little  surprised at his use of 1x2 (3/4 x 1.5) and apparently no added fretboard.

What do  you use?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• i'm thinking if using the bunnings oak with a mahogany stain.  tempted to try their merbau and work around or disguise the fingerjoins.

i don't have a router, so i'll be doing something by hand unless i can use a wheel on my amgle grinder

• Southpaw, there are lots of scary carving wheel options for angle grinders available with SAE or metric arbors.

google "carving wheels for angle grinder" and watch some of the videos

I have a chainsaw wheel for roughing out dough bowls. If you get a wheel for the grinder my one bit of advice is: Do not slip.

• I'll have to look into it, only had a quick look at something basic to see if it could be done.

• Do any of you use rout round-over bits on the neck to contour the back a bit?

• I have used a Harbor Freight hand held router with a 1/2" round over bit since day one several years and 65 guitars ago.. Takes a while to get a handle on it but works like a charm. You have to move in the right direction though i.e. from where the neck attaches to the body up to the headstock and then back the other side from the headstock to the body. Of course all of this is done before the neck is attached to the body. You have to figure out now to avoid nasty gouges from a bit that is REALLY spinning and shreds so much wood off you think you are a woodchuck or maybe a beaver or even a woodpecker! You have to do some finishing with a file at the neck and the body. You also have to learn to set the bit at the proper depth so that the roundoff of the back of the neck is more or less perfect. I also ALWAYS glue a fretboard on the neck for extra strength. So far no complaints from customers. Good luck!

• I have a Ryobi router that I use, and a router table that I have yet to set up. Last build I used it but that neck is still a little thick (1 inch with 1/4" fretboard). That one was a 1" diameter roundover, and I just ordered a 1.5" .

• Hi James, my necks are 1" , 25mm, overall including the hardwood fingerboard.

I select my timber with grain oriented as in the photo, for stability. I use a 1/2" round over bit with bearing. I prefer to move the material rather than the router so I clamp the trimmer as shown in the photo. If doing a larger round over I would suggest taking smaller bites at a time so as to minimise any tearout. 

This method works well if you have a peghead that kicks back or a heal on the neck.

3675126375?profile=RESIZE_710x 306671307?profile=RESIZE_710x 306671095?profile=RESIZE_710x 306672373?profile=RESIZE_710x Taff

• Bunnings Tassie Oak Taff? lol

• Yes Tim, if it's not on the 1/4 like that stuff it's often not dead straight. A bent neck before I start. Because I don't use though necks I can get two necks out of a length.

Taff

• I have a router table that I  haven't set up yet,  but will soon. Agree with  grain  direction.

This reply was deleted.