Any concensus on the best way to do a neck scarf joint? See crude diagram

No 1, Cut, flip and glue to top.

or

No 2, Cut flip and glue to bottom.

To me, No 1 seems the better option, but didn't know if anyone else had opinions based on experience.  I've no experience, this will be my first attempt!

Thanks, Matt

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I use #1 method.  I recently made a 6 string and used a 1x4 and a 10 degree angle.  The only saw I have that would cut deep enough was my 40 year old hand saw.  I straightened out the cut with an oscillating sander and then did the same on top of the neck for the fret board. (I've also done the same with no fret board, just fretted the neck.)  It's all matter of how precise you can be with the tools you have.  Since I've shaped about 30 necks with the hand held sander, I've gotten pretty good with it.  I cut my fret slots with a coping saw.  Hand tools rock.

• I did some measurements. My Fender acoustic 6 string has a neck/head angle of 14 degrees.  The 4 stringer I built has an angle of 12 degrees and method #1.  I remember when I built it that I just sort of eyeballed the angle.  Still, it works fine, no need for string trees......

neck angle.jpg

• I see a couple guys recommending 15 degrees, but the stuff I found said 7 degrees is normal for "regular" (gotta find a better term for that!) guitars.  No rules aside, what is the preferred angle for you all?  The smaller the angle, the longer the glue joint, but the string angle is less.

• I've seen anywhere fro no angle (Fender) to extremes of 60 degrees (Middle Eastern ouds and European lutes). Most commercial gits fall in the 11-15 degree range.
  • Method 1 works well if you are using a fret board, but if you plan to make a neck without a fret-board (a slider or frets cut directly in to the neck), then method 2 is a better choice. That keeps the scarf joint out of your frets (drawn or cut).

As far as joint strength is concerned, I don't think there is any difference when properly glued and clamped.

•  I believe I have heard a 15* angle is best for this?

Getting ready to build my first 'complex' neck soon...

• I also prefer #1 because the fretboard strengthens the joint so much (more than headstock veneer). Fenders and many CBGs have no back angle, though, so it's up to you.
    • 15 degrees is rhe same is is used on srandard guitars. It also gives enough drop that you should not have to use a string tree.

• I prefer #1. I cheat and dryfit so I can drill for 2 short screws that are installed with glue to keep pieces from sliding. Drill and fill with a plug and all sins are hidden by the fret board. ;-)

image.jpg

This reply was deleted.