I don't have a long meter stick just a yard stick in inches. I am using a micrometer to mark fret to fret and then use the micrometer almost maxed out to check about 5 frets in a row. The problem is that after I check the 12th fret at 12.5 iches and it is off only about 1/32 or the thickness of a business card. The scale is 25inches with 20 frets. I already installed the first fret and it is accurate and then marked the rest. I rest the very edge of the micrometer on the center of the mark. I am prepared to remark but would hope that this will not be a problem. I marked the 12th fret before I marked the rest just to have a measuring point. The face of the fret wire will pretty much cover what is off so it is very slightly off. Will this be a problem?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• On tip I was given was to agree to cut to one side of the mark you make and do the same at each cut.

To ensure accuracy.Sometimes lining up with your cut can be an issue. recon this is a good tip but awaiting to try it.

Like wise i'm still struggling and made one the other day where all were ok bar 7 and 9 yet it was in on 3rd 5th and 12th.

taping the ruler down may be a good plan too and marking with a razor blade...may help.  

Let me know if you crack it its driving me nuts too.

• If you print your templates off line or buy them no matter the Rule of 18 was used to make them. All you need to do is calculate the first fret position then employ the tangent line method ....wahlah!! Absolutly any scale you want with one measly math calculation!

• Also.... if you're using a bolt for a nut... measure to the top center of the bolt, not the closest edge to the fret board.

• and... rethink things.

a bolt may or may not work ok on a fretless neck, but if you're fretting (and therefore reading this stuff) skip that bolt, i understand it seems easy cos its threads make handy slots, but you can do a lot better

• I use bolts and make my own nuts... it is not about 'doing a lot better than that‘ but the flavor of the guitar I am building. And to be honest there is equal satisfaction in both. The bolt actually gets more of a "wow" factor when people hear it sounding so sweet. I would say don't limit yourself to using just a bolt, because I agree they are quick to make and the " I made that" reward is great.

• and a proper nut only takes a few minutes to make

• I've made dozens of fretted necks from a precut template....

• When using a try square you'll have more control if you hold it like this306366381?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024306368553?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• I'm tempted to take a piece of 1/8" plexi and make a more permanent template...

• So, there ARE rules!! We can still chose to ignore them I guess.I love my paper templates and they seem to be very accurate. You do have to be very careful when printing and then putting them together(multi sheet printout), I always check that with a steel rule at least to make sure the second and sometimes 3rd sheets line up right and that the 12th fret is where it is supposed to be. I then carefully tape them together, check it again with the ruler then trim it down to a stip that I can then lay on the fretboard and mark very carefully ( I use a very sharp pencil and a 10x loupe). Very easy and cheap to make any scale length you want, you can even model the whole fretboard including string spacing at the nut and bridge without doing ANY math a( I love that part!) I save them to reuse and now have a good selection so all I have to do is grab one, hopefully the correct one (label them carefully), and mark away.

This reply was deleted.