Replies

• Hi, I saw the words natural reverb mentioned here and thought I'd share how I got natural reverb in my most recent build. It was nothing to do with necks but with how I built the body. Very responsive.

I use a Pig Nose amp a lot but found it very lacking in any reverb, I'm not a fan of a dry "uncoloured" tone so I bought a reverb pedal to use with it.

But now with the guitar pictured here, the  natural reverb from the CBG come through the amp and sounds more interesting/pleasant to my ears. Bit off topic, sorry.

Cheers Taff

306604380?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• Nice looking git Taffy.

•  When I made my 4 string Gas Can-jo, I used a through piece for the can to bolt the neck on. The neck is Red Oak with a Red Oak fretboard and the through piece is Red Oak. I used my drill with a Forstner bit to cut a 5/32" wide channel and 17/32" deep in the neck and through piece and glued a piece of 1/8" x 1/2" steel flat bar in them for a non-adjustable trussrod and stabilizer.

That may have been overkill and not needed. But I'm very sure that they will remain stable forever. I also think the steel added some sustain and better harmonics to the neck and through piece.

• Paul, you were talking about a non adjustable truss rod, then JL was joking about tone metals. Ed Stilley did some guitars with a circular saw blade attached to such a truss rod, you will find an x-ray of one on
      • Seeing the side view pic was better. That was a very interestingly shaped guitar, serious lack of upper fret access. Sounded good though.

• Are we going to start a thread on tonemetal? BwaHaHaHa

• No, that wasn't my intent, but it's an idea. LOL

• http://www.freeweekly.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/XRayBanjo.jpg

According to Ed Stilley circular saw blades are excellent tone metal...

• You can get a good reverb thing going with some metal springs in your box. Shane did a video on that.

I tend to use metal for my bridges, I think it sounds better. I have a Fender Strat clone guitar that I changed the wimpy pot metal trem block out for a steel one and noticed a good change right off.

I guess it depends on where you put that saw blade as to whether you'd get any benefit from it. Instrument dynamic's can be very interesting. 

• Hi Joe, the most stable necks I think are when timber is cut on the 1/4, grain running vertically top to bottom. If I cant get this, the photo shows what I do if the grain is too far off of vertical.

I've seen some rock maple electric guitar necks that are slab cut, grain going side to side, but generally guitar necks are cut on the 1/4.

306599303?profile=original

306599305?profile=originalCheers Taff

This reply was deleted.