Necessary or wasted space

I have been offered the use of a small 15ft x 10ft empty workshop,and would welcome your input/ideas on how to equip it on a limited budget.what (with hindsight) would your priorities be, what could you just not do without, and what is really just an extravagance.I'm sure lots of you have pieces of equipment and tools that were bought, used once, and now are just in the way and gathering dust.Lets all have a laugh at how much waste is lying around.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• i really would like a drill press. a jig saw can be used for a lot of those band saw items. a table saw would be nice.
    i seriously have mixed feelings about my router its so useful when wood working i wouldnt want to be without it but it scares me. but routers can be seriously useful times. you can use it for a all your standared routing needs plus you can use it for a joiner with the right bit in a table. or you can build a sled and use it for thickness plainer. i would put it pretty high on the list. my only regret is i got a 1/4" instead of a 1/2"
  • I dont know anybody that has enough bench space, do I? lol
    I have a router table set up that I never use,too scared of it.
    My "cant do without tools" are bandsaw,2 or 3 handheld sanders,I load them up with different grits ahead of time so all I have to do is lay 1 down and pick up the 1 loaded with the grit I need,it greeatly speeds things up for me.
    I have a table sander for rough shaping necks then move "up the grades "with the handheld sanders.
    handheld jig saw,a couple of small hammers for "adjustments' and a rubber head hammer.A handsaw (small)several different types of files. assorted screwdrivers.A bench grinder,,,,,
    I agree ,buy more clamps then you think you need,then you'll have about half what you really need.A vise can save your hands and fingers.pliers,wire cutters .At LEAST 1 dremel,I'm set up with 2, ready
    to go at all times.
    The rest you just to figure out as you go.
  • Lots and lots and lots of bench space.
    You will never have enough.
  • Hi Peter, Hope all is well mate?

I thought it was about time we had an update on this - what did you buy, and how has it helped you?

Christmas is just around the corner and Im preparing to write my wish list to Santa, but I cant decide whether I should be wishing for a drill press, a bandsaw or one of those really long sanders! lol

Currently the only tools I have are handheld (except for my circular saw) so I feel an upgrade would really help my productivity, but like you, I dont know which way to go.
  • We have a Harbor Freight Tools store in our town. They sell a lot of cheap tools. A set of Fostner bits 1/4 to 1 inch for @ $ 12. Working in wood, while they're not the best, it was good enough to get me started... Now is I need to I'll replace one at a time with "pro quality" stuff.... Same thing to tools. It would nice to have the best, but in most cases hobby grade is good enough. Exception.... table saw... buy the best you can afford. Safety and quality of the product is worth the expense.

the best,

Sam

peter martin said:
    Hi Wichita Sam, I have looked at some small work stations i.e planer/sander/saw etc combined, but they would i.m.h.o leave you stranded if the motor packs in you can't use any of it, sometimes your hands and muscle are the best after all! A good set of forstner bits are always welcome but so expensive , i've just seen a set of seven for £60.00,I'll have to buy some 1 at a time when i need them.

Wichita Sam said:
    table top drill press, bandsaw, good quality table saw. add a table top router if you aren't into hand shaping your necks.

for hand tools, drill, dremel, exacto knife step, small adjustable t-square, soldering gun, scrapers, screwdrivers, wire cutters, mitre box, flush cut saw (I use this for my fret saw) and lotsa, lotsa clamps.... a good vise is helpful....

the best,

Wichita Sam
  • Hi Brian,well i think a band saw, a drill press with sander attachment and a table saw will have to be my first purchases, followed by a belt sander and a kettle lol we Brits love our tea!

Brian Lemin said:
    I think the last tool that i would sell or give away in my workshop would be my bandsaw. Sure it is a large one but even a small one would do most of what I want it to do.
  • Hi Ben, I know what you mean about Dewalt,i bought a drill when i was working at the Barbican in London 15 years ago,it cost an arm and a leg,The joiners working along side me would buy a cheap one and chuck it after a few weeks hard graft ,it was more cost effective to do that ,thieves would always target the most expensive tools but walk passed cheap stuff!!.

Randy Rooster (Ben) said:
    Yes Peter, my chop saw does flip over for use as a circular. Its a Dewalt which you would expect to be a good product (especially with the cost of the damn thing), but be warned - check the guide rig if you're going to buy one. My guide only attaches at one end and is hopeless - it wafts about when cutting so I have to mess on clamping a lump of timber to the top instead.

All this talk is making me think I need to buy a drill press with sander attachment now - today!!
  • Hi Wichita Sam, I have looked at some small work stations i.e planer/sander/saw etc combined, but they would i.m.h.o leave you stranded if the motor packs in you can't use any of it, sometimes your hands and muscle are the best after all! A good set of forstner bits are always welcome but so expensive , i've just seen a set of seven for £60.00,I'll have to buy some 1 at a time when i need them.

Wichita Sam said:
    table top drill press, bandsaw, good quality table saw. add a table top router if you aren't into hand shaping your necks.

for hand tools, drill, dremel, exacto knife step, small adjustable t-square, soldering gun, scrapers, screwdrivers, wire cutters, mitre box, flush cut saw (I use this for my fret saw) and lotsa, lotsa clamps.... a good vise is helpful....

the best,

Wichita Sam
  • Thanks Wes,I certainly think a drill press with drum sander will be a useful investment i have found that orbital/palm sanders can leave some hard to remove cross grain marks if you are'nt really careful,at the moment i use a piece of plywood marked into 4 quarters and different grades of abrasive paper stuck on , use coarse, turn the board,use next grade and so on.I have used a hand belt sander clamped upside down in the bench which has made the job a lot easier i.e 2 hands to hold the timber. thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Wes Yates said:
    If you can't afford a belt sander, go for a good palm/hand sander. Nothing too small tho. I have a Ryobi with ~6"x6" area. Works ok. Would prefer a belt sander tho.

If and if you do get a drill press, a suggestion to me was a drum sander attachment as you would put on a hand held drill. Mount that into the drill press in lieu of a table top drum sander.
  • I think the last tool that i would sell or give away in my workshop would be my bandsaw. Sure it is a large one but even a small one would do most of what I want it to do.
This reply was deleted.