Replies

• Been a while since I was a Guitar Player subscriber, but I believe the studio guys down in Nashville would add such an instrument into the rhythm section to give a more "ringing" bright tone to the mix.
    As noted, it's not intended to be a solo instrument, though I have heard guys use it.
  • Wait - what?
    Nashville tuning? Very Interesting!
    Never heard of this . . . anybody know why it's called that?

Keni Lee Burgess said:
    Try playing the Nashville tuned guitar in a duet with another guitar. It is not meant to be played as a solo instrument. If you both play the same progression, but play different inversions of the chords, I think you will quickly discover the very intricate sounds that are produced. If you both play the same chords, it sound like a 12 guitar. Enjoy
  • Try playing the Nashville tuned guitar in a duet with another guitar. It is not meant to be played as a solo instrument. If you both play the same progression, but play different inversions of the chords, I think you will quickly discover the very intricate sounds that are produced. If you both play the same chords, it sound like a 12 guitar. Enjoy
  • The thing that put me off this tuning was the G octave string, maybe sound better with the normal G string.
    I will try that next time I'm changing the strings on my 12 string.
    If you are going to try it on a 4 string, get a set of 5 string banjo strings, then you will have the 4 long strings, and you can experement with changing the 5th string for the G, this would give you Nashville tuning, then when you get bored with it you can put the G back on, tune to DGBD and play banjo chords.

Tam
  • That's the understanding I have as well, it's also called "high-strung" tuning. It might actually put less stress on the instrument than conventional 6-string tuning, as the octave strings are much thinner.

Still, you'd want a stoutly-built cigar-box.
  • I think you are talking about High strung tuning AKA Nashvile tunig, that is like getting a 12 string set and just using the thin octave strings, I have done this on 1 of my 6 string acoustic guitars, 4 string would be octave D G standard B E.
    Tam
  • Eh... CBG...
  • Whats a CGB ?
This reply was deleted.