This first time is a long over due. I have actually used  a real cigar box to build a CBG.

Some time ago I mentioned that I had never heard a real cigar box guitar, well now I have, I built one.

My wife and daughter bought me an assorted pile of box's and I will work my way through them. Pictured is the first one, a bit small but ya gotta use what ya got.

Cheers Taff

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi, the dog bowl resonator sounds like a tin dog bowl. The CBG I built using a proper cone is better tone wise. The dog bowl has two pickups and when blended together it is quite a pleasing sound.
    Taff
    • ok, that scrubs that idea, they are so cheap I thought about using one in a future build, I'll stick with something better.

• I did not mean to put you off, I was plying it acoustic the other night and I really enjoyed it. I don't know how it would perform with less than six strings driving the cone/bowl. Its a good talking point too.

Give it a go, you will not be disapointed. We gotta keep things in perspective, it is after all the most basic of instruments.
        Taff
  • you have a lot of nice builds!

• Thanks mate.
  • I'm in the same boat, built several boxes, my first cigar box is coming up, also, how does that dog dish resonator of yours sound?

Also, I was thinking about adding a preamp like you did on your 6 string, I see how you overcame the shape of it, by making a curved piece for it to sit into and and a flat bottom to mate it, great idea, I'll be stealing that one! ;-)

This reply was deleted.