I'm only a 24 hours into my first "proof-of-concept" build, but I've already learned a number of things.

Mistake number 1 was buying a 2x2 board instead of 1x2. The idea at the time of purchase was, since some people here have said they like having a big plank inside the box, a 2x2 board was going to give me more wood than a 1x2.

The flip side is that since I am mostly using hand tools, I am carving away close to an inch of wood for the neck with a surform file and a rasp. And the monotony of it is taking its toll on my patience. Simple or complex, it looks like having an electric saw, or router, is a big advantage to carving the neck. And right now, that's an advantage I don't have.

Once I get the sucker built, I'll try to post pictures.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• william McCauley said:
    Looks great to me. Good job
    Thanks, William! I am really enjoying this new hobby...

String action is a touch high, but that's easily fixed next time around. It's quite often dropping out of tune, though. I can't decide if I did something wrong, or if it's just the strings being broken in...
  • Looks great to me. Good job
    Scotty C. said:
    Well, she's finished. Not the prettiest thing in the world, but it works... Kind of like me.

I'm already planning out the next build. Color me hooked.
  • Well, she's finished. Not the prettiest thing in the world, but it works... Kind of like me.

I'm already planning out the next build. Color me hooked.
  • building the world's largest resonator! It's a lot for your first guitar, but I gotta give you credit, man!
    Scotty C. said:

This is what I've gotten done by hand so far. Apologies for the crappy cell phone pic.
  • Well, I can testify that a handheld electric jigsaw isn't going to be great for cutting the neck sound area. it was fine for cutting the steps down, but the sound slot I cut is no where near as straight as your saw/chisel work. I'm using maple on mine which is really hard wood and I got a lot of burning during the cut as well. I think my next one will have to be done differently.
  • Thats how i do it. it works great.
    Wes Yates said:
    [How this post ended up in the wrong discussion I will never understand. Reposted it here]

Here's one poor man's way of getting something like a lid recess cut down. Try cutting parallel groves about 1/8" apart by X deep. Once cut, knock the pieces out with a chisel or screwdriver. Sand or rasp flat.

The tape is to mark where to stop. You could even clamp two pieces on either side as guides. That will make the depth more even. The above is from an instructional manual I did for kits.

-WY
  • I think laminating is just as strong . If you use a good wood glue, I use elmers wood glue, have for years, you can make the neck to the thickness you want and use different woods, I am using maple and oak on my next build, I just like to be different. I have a bench top table saw and a laminate router that I use for most of the work. I also have all the other tools a wood shop would have. Have fun with it, you are the one playing it. A dremmel is nice also if you have limited space.

Scotty C. said:
    keith peterson said:
    I agree with Wes glueing up a lam nect is the bomb because you can mix hard woods and make it your own. I use maple and oak base trim. The oak I get from a local mill all the wood is cut offs, I get it cheap. Laminating is a good way to keep the lumber cost to a min.
    Is cost the obvious benefit for laminating, or are there other ones? Is a laminated neck stronger than a neck made from a large piece of lumber?
  • Just cause it says it can cut up to 2" doesnt mean it will cut it square though. The blades are flexable and can skew the cut if to much forward pressure is applied while cutting. Remember to allow the blade to do the work, dont force it.

Scotty C. said:
    william McCauley said:
    Be careful with the jigsaw. I have had trouble getting a square cut on mat'l more than 1/4" thick.
    Will do... the one I'm looking at says its max depth of material cut is 2 inches.
  • william McCauley said:
    Be careful with the jigsaw. I have had trouble getting a square cut on mat'l more than 1/4" thick.
    Will do... the one I'm looking at says its max depth of material cut is 2 inches.
  • Be careful with the jigsaw. I have had trouble getting a square cut on mat'l more than 1/4" thick.

Scotty C. said:
    Scott L said:
    I know what you mean about being limited by tools. I'm in the same boat, live in a condo with no much space to work so I'm working in a corner of the living room and getting sawdust all over the place. I've been using a handheld electric jigsaw and handsaw with miter box and an all purpose file for the finer work. I've used this as an excuse to buy one of those oscillating multi-tools which cut through the cigar box like butter and also does sanding work.
    Good call, Scott. I'll be picking up a Jigsaw myself around the next paycheck, or thereabouts. Which oscillating multi-tool did you end up getting? Any opinions to share with someone who is looking at them as well?
This reply was deleted.