My Amp Hums

I have an Ibanez Mimx 30 amp. For a $100 amp it sounded awesome when it was new . Now it hums a lot . My teen age son used to use the amp a lot and I'm sure he beat on it quite a bit.

Is the probable cause of the hum a blown speaker or does the electronics go bad?

I hate to buy a new amp if a speaker change will fix the problem.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• With all the modeling settings & gain & other bits n sorts, is it possible something like gain is set at full bore, creating the humming noise?

• Some amps pick up radio signals.

• It hums because it doesn't know the words!

(Sorry, I only know bad jokes).

Oily has the best advice. Could be a lot of things.

Good luck!
  • Best to take it in to your local amp tech...could be a busted resistor, a bad capacitor, a problem with the motherboard...all kinds of things.
  • It  hums no matter what I plug Into it. The potentiometers on the amp don't crackle when I turn them.

• Or... have you tried it in another room/house? Also, is it hum or buzz? Buzz should improve as you turn down the treble whereas hum would stay the same. If everything is humming/buzzing there could be something nearby causing interference... I had a really bad buzz on my brand new amp recently, tried all my guitars, turned off everything electronic in the house and it didn't go. Tried the next morning and it was fine, must have been something next door!
  • Something maybe loose or bunrout.  I don't think that speakers hums by itself.

Most of the time guitars and amps hum beacuse of the potentiometers are worn out or dirty.

This reply was deleted.