Ok i have finished my first cbg and i did not like the sounds coming out of it so first thing i did was change the high G string to a slightly thicker one than came with the gitty light package. That helped , then i made a bridge from a marlin bill and took out the bolt, that helped. Then i took the peizo i had epoxied to the underside of the lid and installed a humbucker... that helped a lot however the two lower strings D & G. Sound very muted especialy the D.  I am thinking it might be cause of the bridge being... not tight enough against the strings or something to do with the string contact at either end but they look fine. I am hoping someone can suggest the most likely thing to look for so i dont end up trying six things it aint looking for the one thing it is? Thanks

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Robert, congrats on your first build and welcome aboard.

Does it sound muted both acoustically and amplified?

• Both, i hasnt thought about those strings being the muted problem but, i used a cb light 3 string set and the high G just sounded too high even though the tuner said different. I put a thicker martin on and it sounds good now so i guess i will try switching the other two. That would be an easy fix. I have some dr pure blues strings on the way and can try those also. I found a number of things to do different next time too. For instance i should have set the neck/ fret board higher because to get enough tension at the saddle i have to keep the string at a for slide only level.  Thats ok as it gives me a good reason to make another right away. I will write back when i get a chance to switch strings . Thanks

• You will get a lot of ideas coming in to help, but I've experienced bad strings in a new set. Especially if a cheep set, even a good brand can have dud's. I'd change them to check that first, otherwise you may find yourself chasing your tail.

Taff

This reply was deleted.