Hi guys and gals, I was thinking - can music wire be used as fret alternative? I mean I have used it to make springs for my CBGs - for awesome reverb/echo effect and I must say - the greater gauge is pain to bend - I have to use improvised bender with my hand drill to provide adequate force. But getting back to fret alternatives - I have made tied on frets from steel wire, brass and copper wire - brass being my favourite - but it became more expensive than real fret wire!!! So. As copper dents too easy, and dulls the sound when used as a fret (I used copper resonators - with great results), and lack of cheap brass, I wonder whether or music wire can be a good fit. Bear in mind that I'll do wrap-around frets - I tried glued-on with a groove but failed miserably :( Had anyone tried this? Any help? Or do you guys wish me to check this :) ?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Bailing wire.,.,used on the farm.,.,seems like it would be pliable enough and hard enough, and you could probably level it too.,.,I have not tried music wire.,,.

• not music wire but i used split pins for frets on my first build.  here is a link to what i did..

https://cigarboxnation.com/profiles/blogs/neck-fretted-and-how-not-...

• Hi Thomasz, I haven't tried it but I suppose it's an idea if you want to be different. For me I would think about any loss of volume and sustain with the absents of a solid anchor point like a fret. Levelling the wire frets is a consideration too, but you may be all over that as you are used to using this type of material.

Taff

This reply was deleted.