I acquired this thing for $3 thinking I would re-purpose the tuners, nut, and perhaps neck and bridge into future CBG builds... But I am now thinking I would like instead to make it resophonic. It is a 35" instrument with a 24" scale if I measured it right.
I know nothing about resos and would like to ask you guys to point me in the right direction. Here is a list of questions so far:
1. Sound well: I've seen some builds with them and some without. Do I really need one? Can you educate me on the pros and cons?
2. Finish: I would like to either remove the existing finish or at least distress it. My objective is to give the thing a relic blues look. Don't know what the existing finish is. How should I proceed?
3. Action: I think I want to raise the action to facilitate slide. Should I leave it as is, or should I unglue the nut and either shim it or replace it with something higher?
4. Resonator: I would like to find a metal plate or tray at a junk store due to my propensity to favor 'found object' instruments. Or should I bite the bullet and purchase a real resonator?
5. Or should I go back to my initial plan an cannibalize some parts?
Thanks in advance for your input!!
Just "brainstorming", you might be able to get away with glueing in some strategically placed braces to support a cone since most of the reso tone comes from the cone and not the top. You will sure get some "expert" opinions here on the matter. I have seen pictures of standard guitars with a reso cone below the sound hole. https://www.google.com/#q=converting+an+acoustic+guitar+to+a+resonator