Replies

• The illustrious Ted Crocker once linked me to a very scientific study which demonstrated that the magic number is seven. ie connect 7 in parallel (halving the impedance again and again with each one) then start up a second bank of up to seven in series with the first.. (Presumably you'd be making a electric drum kit to need so many)

If you can corner ted in the chat he probly has this page bookmarked..
  • hell might as well use use a rod in the bridge and a disc inlayed in the neck though behind the fret board

• That's what I do on most builds. I have done one with a rod and a disc and then a switch to add another disc. But it was on a resonator style and the placement was a bit odd so it wasn't a good representation. But workable.

• I have a 6 string where I have 3 in parallel + a fourth with it's own volume control, in parallel with the others. The 3 in parallel are all different sizes trying to modulate the resonance frequency and get smoother output. Putting them in parallel lowers the overall impedance and does help. I am still getting clipping through the amp. A high impedance input preamp will help more. Look on line for DIY JFET preamps. I do believe there are a couple of threads on preamps on this site. I'm on an iPad now so if I search, I lose this reply.

I know that it is possible to tame disk piezos because that is what is used on violins and stand up bases, usually a couple in parallel and usually through a high end preamp.
  • There have been numerous discussions about this in the past.

If you go to the Search box in the upper right hand corner of the home page and type in "piezo parallel"  you will find all sorts of discussions and photos.

This reply was deleted.