Replies

• Back from work, guess which box I prefer to fiddle around with... You can be happy with a simple acoustic box. Guess which one I could sell...

306522136?profile=original

• as the question is about getting more sound from an acoustic cbg there are three basic principles you can start from: (1) top and bottom of the box should vibrate free without obstruction, without masses attached to them; just holding a cgb off of your waist will produce more sound and sustain; (2) anything that is inside the box reduces sound quality to some extent, even a neck that goes through the box yields somewhat  less sustain; (3) if the angle of the strings on the bridge is near to 180 degrees there is low pressure through the bridge to the top of the box and low transmission from the vibrations of the strings; (4) you will have to make compromises...

• Less is more

• More sound?:

1) Less corner wood blocks; you only need about 3/4" square)
    2) Ditch the sink strainer
    3) Higher bridge / saddle
    4) Add 2-3 degrees neck back angle
    5) Smaller soundhole
    6) Either relieve the neck from the top, or make sure it's coupled to the top along its entire length inside the box
    7) Don't worry about the bass bar; the box is really skinny, You're playing slide, not Paganini.
    8) Consider a neck-to, instead of a neck through, or even a bolt-on neck, on your next build.
    9) Try an Uncle Crow build, with the neck attached to the top outside of the box.
    10) Try running the neck along the narrow side of the box (I know, weird, shouldn't work, but on certain boxes it seems to).
    11) Don't overthink it.
    12) Electrify it with a piezo or mag pup.
    13) Strum harder
    14) Sing softer
    15) Use a heavier pick
    16) Use a heavy slide
    17) Use heavier strings
    18) Move your bridge about 2" closer to the headstock
    19) Use a footed bridge (like a mandolin or violin)
    20) Use a denser neck hardwood like oak or mahogany. Or metal.
  • I have noticed in my builds that if I don't close off the areas inside the box with the neck that I get more sound out of it. I can't really tell from the pics, but it looks like the neck may be creating two separate areas once the box is closed if it is tight to the top and bottom. If that is the case you may try opening the two areas up so the sound can escape from both sides of the neck. Maybe some of the more experienced builders can shed some light on this ;-)

• Get rid of the sound hole cover.

Longer, more F-hole like sound holes. They don't have to be fancy. Straight cuts without curves work too. If your going to use a round sound hole, try putting it under the strings. 

Agreeing on the blocks of wood. Use three small blocks along the closing end. maybe no more than 1/2x1/2 inch. One in each corner. One in the center. 

Try adding a bass bar. Like those found in violins. If you have room for it inside the box. 

• I have wondered why violins use a bass bar and others don't, did you see a big effect? 

This reply was deleted.