Replies

• Photo showing control locations

306684210?profile=RESIZE_480x480

• Hey, thats what I'm talking about.

Taff

• Taffy

Thanks for the advice, I have now mounted them on the top edge of the box, photo to follow.

• Thanks all, I will give it a try, but only got a relatively small box so I may struggle with a volume and tone pot for each.

• Hi, what about a master tone for both PU plus two volume. Use mini pots. Or a push/pull pot for a function, to save space. I'm not sure but a click noise from the selector switch mentioned earlier may have been caused by the piezo picking up switch noise. Also, depending on the box, consider mounting pots in the rim of the box.

just my thoughts Taff

• Didn't think about the piezo picking up the switch noise, that's a good call Taffy you may be right.

Putting the knobs on the top side of the box is often done.

• I've used mag and piezo combination a lot on my guitars, especially if a resonator guitar. I have used two volume pots, one for each pickup, or a blend pot and a master volume. Both with tone pot of course.

Usually 250k pots for single coil pickup and 500k pots for humbuckers. Not sure what size best suits a piezo but either of these will work. You can change to combination around, it will change the sound of the pickups slightly.

cheers Taff

• This sounds like the best option to me. You could use a Fender J Bass wiring scheme 2 volumes 1 tone and no switch to give any popping noise.

• Hi Robert,

It works well.  This is an old video I made years back and you need to turn up the volume to hear it.  It compares magnetic, piezo (discs) and both.  There are sound demos too of the signal straight to an amp and via an onboard preamp.

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/video/comparing-cbg-pickups

The wiring is simple - just pick a diagram that has a two wire magnetic pickup (humbucker or single coil) and substitute in the piezo + and - wires for one of the pickups.

I usually add a preamp and just send the common signal (that would go to the Jack socket had there not been a preamp) through it.  The preamp gives good tone control over the magnetic/piezo/both signals.

This contains the usual wiring diagrams 

http://www.artecsound.com/wiring/wiring_book01.pdf

Regards,

David L.

• Just finishing a guitar and was thinking of using two pickups, can you also have the magnetic pickup and piezo operating at the same time? Or are they too much of a mismatch?

This reply was deleted.