Can I put tung oil on a guitar that was finished with minwax? I've never used tung oil gloss. The minwax is nice but I'd like to try the tung oil glossy.... If it's not advisable I'll just use tung oil on a different guitar...thank you for any advice.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Here's a discussion of the very topic:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/furniture-wood-cabinetry-finishin...
  • Finished with Minwax what? Minwax is a brand that makes many products, including tung oil. Without knowing what product it was finished with originally, it would be hard to answer.

• Stain
      • Ah, so stain isn't generally a finish, it's a coloring. Just about any finish coat is supposed to protect the wood, as well as give it an attractive shine/gloss/luster, or whatever, depending on the actual finish.

Tung oil can certainly be applied over the stain. If you want a rich, lustrous finish it would be a good choice. You would probably want about 7 or 8 coats, rubbing it out lightly with a fine steel wool every couple coats. After the last coat, I usually rub it out with fine steel wool and a finish paste or butcher's wax. It'll be a rich satin-y finish, but not a lot of shine or gloss.

Brad
This reply was deleted.