I'm thinking of giving it a try--making my own single coil pickup.  I've watched a vid a few times where I guy takes a magnet from a speaker that was in a toy, glues it between two plastic disks that he cuts out to make the bobbin, and winds the wire around that.  It works!  I have a really small disk magnet, but I'm thinking it would be too narrow to be able to wind enough wire around it.  Would I work to put it into something, like a nut, and glue the plastic disks to the nut to make a big enough bobbin?

Should I just buy a bigger cylindrical magnet?  I found out they're really cheap.

A friend of mine is a farmer, and he raises hogs and a few cattle.  Should I see if he would sell/give me one of those "pill" magnets they give to cattle to pick up any metal they might eat?  Would that work, or would it be too big?

Should I just plain buy a one-string single coil pickup?  If I do, where do I find them?

Thanks!

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Do you mean too narrow (diameter of the circle) or too thin (height of the cylinder)?

lids from Chinese take-out soup ought to have plenty of flat real-estate for the disks, lots of how-to/how-it-works/history-of-gits videos show that even a hundred turns will produce enough volume for an amp to do something with.

Can't wait to hear the results.

• Thanks for your post, JL.  I'm referring to its height--too thin.  But...it sounds like you're encouraging me to use take-out lids and give it a shot.  OK then!

One more Q:  Specifically what copper wire should I buy--what gauge?  I saw spools of copper wire at Lowe's (LOVE Lowe's--a CBG builder's playground!) but I'm guessing that's too thick.

Thanks!

• Magnets for pickups have to be just the right strength, too strong and they will pull too hard on the strings, too weak and they will result in a weak pickup. 

Pickup magnets can be had for cheap these days and they're all over the internet. Mojotone.com  - Stewmac.com sell the Alnico and Ceramic types and there's plenty of Neodymium magnet suppliers.

Do some research on them to make the right decision.

This reply was deleted.