Replies

• Last week I was worried about lead solder fumes; now I've got glass dust to contend with. Well, if those hard-scrabble guys in the '30's could do it, i guess I can tough it out too.

Robert Novickas said:
    Thanks to everyone who contributed to my enlightenment about glass cutting. I should be slippin' and slidin' soon! Gracias!
  • Thanks to everyone who contributed to my enlightenment about glass cutting. I should be slippin' and slidin' soon! Gracias!
  • I made two last month with a dremel. Diamond-coated cutoff wheel acquired via ebay and a few minutes of patience led to two successful slides. A 100% success rate and less than ten dollars for a package of wheels. The wheel I used is still as big as it was prior to using it, so they probably go for a while.

(I highly doubt glass dust is a lot of good for your lungs so a respirator makes things easy, along with other obvious forms of protection)
  • The last couple I made I used my Dremel. I used the reinforced cutting wheel, the ones with the fiberglass reinforcement.

Just cut a shallow groove all the way around the neck and give it a little tap. Should pop right off.
  • I have made a few slides in my day. This method works, but it is slow.
    Draw a line around the bottleneck where you want to cut it.
    Lay the bottle on it's side.
    Using a hacksaw, cut around the neck following your line.
    First create a groove and then just keep going round and round turning the bottle.
    At a certain point, this stress line will be deep enough and "pop" it will release.
    Usually a beer or two does the job.
    I use crocus cloth to smooth the edge.
    Enjoy.
  • Well for $45 dollars I can afford to bust a few bottles. Not very cost effective for a few slides.
    Don

Robert Novickas said:
    I tried the glass cutter and hot water. My problem was that I didn't have any kind of stabilizing frame or bracket to enable a straight cut around the circumference of the bottle. Still, it seems like a good way to go if you can solve that one problem. Thanks for the link, Craig.

Craig Cox said:
    Take a look at this vid (you can skip the first 5 minutes as he shows you how NOT to cut glass). I have not tried this method, but it looks promising.
    http://www.greenpowerscience.com/BOTTLECUTTING.php3
    pretty cool website, too.
  • Robert, If you are using a cordless dremmel you could try to drip some water onto the glass and bit as you cut. several companies sell drip kits , or you could make one from some type of reservoir/tube/and clamp. Keeping the glass cool stops it from cracking. If the dremmel has an adjustable speed you could also slow it down a bit.

There are other methods of cutting a neck. A hack saw will work. I use a wet band saw. A glass etching wheel would also do the trick.................Good luck.
  • I tried the glass cutter and hot water. My problem was that I didn't have any kind of stabilizing frame or bracket to enable a straight cut around the circumference of the bottle. Still, it seems like a good way to go if you can solve that one problem. Thanks for the link, Craig.

Craig Cox said:
    Take a look at this vid (you can skip the first 5 minutes as he shows you how NOT to cut glass). I have not tried this method, but it looks promising.
    http://www.greenpowerscience.com/BOTTLECUTTING.php3
    pretty cool website, too.
  • Fedora 10/11/12/13 Originally RH 4.3 but have done geez Debian, SuSE, Caldera, Solaris, HPUX, Mandrake, mini-dirstros. You name it. Anything since 1997.

-WY

Robert Novickas said:
    Thanks, Wes! Just got the Dremel, haven't accumulated many extras yet. That should do the trick. I didn't want to apply too much pressure; thus, I didn't use enough!
    PS Guess you're a Linux user by your "photo." Which distro?
    Wes Yates said:
    The Dremel should have worked. I would have used a diamond disc tho. It will pop off and may leave sharper or bulging ends but that can be taken care of with a grinding wheel and/or running it flat over 150 grit sandpaper then 400 grit.
    -WY
  • Thanks, Wes! Just got the Dremel, haven't accumulated many extras yet. That should do the trick. I didn't want to apply too much pressure; thus, I didn't use enough!

PS Guess you're a Linux user by your "photo." Which distro?

Wes Yates said:
    The Dremel should have worked. I would have used a diamond disc tho. It will pop off and may leave sharper or bulging ends but that can be taken care of with a grinding wheel and/or running it flat over 150 grit sandpaper then 400 grit.
    -WY
This reply was deleted.