5B0E7101-0595-4561-918A-4348AE6C3AA1.jpeg

The speaker in the pic is from my work. They were switching out PA speakers and let me have one; they were pitching them anyway. On the left you’ll see a coil of copper wire. Can a person make a pup out of that? I’ve seen a couple of vids or guys making a pup out of a copper wire coil in a wall wart. Can the same be done with what I found on that speaker? And where would I find instructions? Thanks!

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks so much. I’ll print it out and save it for when I’m on two feet again (long story). Time to stop being intimidated by electronics!
  • Here’s that diagram, you can use this for 9v amps & effects pedals or whatever uses a 9v style battery snap?

10112559656?profile=RESIZE_710x

• Brian: I may take you up on that. I’ll reach out when the time comes. Thanks!
  • Any speaker more than 2.5 watts will work fine, the speaker that comes with the full kit is 3” and 3 watts. A bigger speaker with higher wattage will give more headroom which will result in a smoother sounding amp? Also, these amps have a low current draw, so they don’t burn through batteries so fast. Another option is  to piggyback a power jack off the battery connector so you can use a power adapter? Basically you’ll just solder 3 wires from the jack, one to the 9v in, one to 9v out & one to ground? I have simple diagrams for this kind of conversion if you need them? 

• Hi guys. Again, thanks for the advice. One more Q: the speaker pictured is 8 inches in diameter. Would an Artec rig with an 9 volt battery have enough power to make the speaker work decent? And, would I need to change batteries often?
  • Great advice. I saw the vids about how to find the polarities of the speaker, and you nailed it. I plan on ordering an Artec rig from CB Gitty. It will be fun. Thanks!
  • a multimeter will only give you the DC resistance of the voice coil. Impedance is an AC thing .music/sound is an AC signal.... 

DC resistance will probably be around 6 Ohms. 6.8 for an 8 Ohm impedance speaker if i remember correctly.

for a first amp you are definitely better off with a kit module where all you need to do is add a input jack a speaker and power. CB Gitty sells a kit i think. you can use your speaker just fine. 

to find correct polarity of the speaker connectors use a AA battery try negative on one connector and tap the other connector with a wire. if the speaker cone moves forward ie out of the frame then that is the positive connector and the other is the negative. of course the opposite if the cone moves in to the frame. just don't hold the battery on the contacts too long or you could burn out the voice coil.

• You could buy a pre-wired artec 2.5watt amp board,? All it needs is an enclosure & speaker? I have watched plenty of those “for dummies” videos & most of them are made by “dummies” who also don’t know what they’re doing, so beware? Also, impedance can be easily tested with a multimeter? That black mark on the rivet may be a polarity marker? (Black is Negative) 

• All really helpful guys—thanks. One more Q: where do I look to get instructions on how to use the speaker to build a basic amp? I’m REALLY not good with tech stuff; schematics give me a headache. If there are vids and other “for dummies” instructions, that would work. Thanks again!
  • yes you can use the speaker without the transformer. just cut the two copper wires coming from the transformer to the speaker tabs and unscrew the transformer from the speaker.

the speaker is just a normal 8 ohm speaker the transformer is there to reduce the 100V line to what the speaker can handle. the impedance of the output of the transformer will be 8 ohm to match the speaker. 

This reply was deleted.