I have a big cigar box, which is too big for a standard CBG.  It measures 26.5 x 11 x 5 inches - photo attached with wine bottle for scale.  I've been thinking of making a dulcimer and would be grateful for any advice on construction, scale length, number of strings, tunings etc.  Also, if you can think of something better to make with it, I'd be happy to hear that, too.  Many thanks.

Views: 201

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice build, Derek - really clean lines and nicely balanced sound holes.  I'm still wondering about whether to go Tennessee Music Box or dulcimer, or some sort of hybrid.  The problem centres on whether to use vine eyes or modern tuning machines for tensioning the strings.  Maybe I'm over-thinking it.  Probably too much sun.........

Sorry to butt in again, I only used those on the late 1800's style replica because that's what they used. They do generally hold the tuning on mine helped by the tin but are a pig to string up. On others I've made I've used regular guitar tuners to save myself a load of grief. Also frets on the melody string(s) only are ok for old time tunes but I fully fretted them too as it's more versatile for modern music.

Thanks, Dennis. The reason that I’d tend towards eyes is that it’s an old box and could look authentic. Then again, I have some Sinton’s jumbo bronze fret wire, which would also look good. I’m tempted by semi-hidden tuners, down the end of the box and with traditional tin work.

That's one thing about the tin on mine, I think it helps with the sustain which is excellent. I used 2 nails for the "nut and bridge" with the tin shaped over the top. I took a lucky guess at the nail/tin thickness to get near to a low-ish string height above the staples as I couldn't find info on that. Works a treat :) 

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Treble bleed?

Started by Eliah Holiday in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Paul Craig 1 hour ago. 5 Replies

Fretting

Started by Clyde B. Bumgarner in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Clyde B. Bumgarner 5 hours ago. 5 Replies

VIDEO: The Flamethrower Organ

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles. Last reply by Andy Busch 7 hours ago. 2 Replies

Review: Swamp Witch "Wesseh Tribute" Cigar Box Guitar

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles. Last reply by Dave Lynas 8 hours ago. 7 Replies

Amps

Started by Keith Huggins in Cool gear discussion - that's not cigar box related. Last reply by Paul Craig 19 hours ago. 2 Replies

Spokeshave: flat or round?

Started by Clint “Uncle Gus” Turpen in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Mark Prentice on Thursday. 13 Replies

Video Premier: Hymn for Her "Blue Balloons"

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles on Thursday. 0 Replies

VIDEO: You Gotta Move cover by Jerome Graille

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles. Last reply by Dave Lynas on Thursday. 2 Replies

VIDEO: Playing the Limberjack - Randy Cato demonstrates

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles. Last reply by Dave Lynas on Thursday. 3 Replies

Latest Activity

Jeff 'Bones' Reilly commented on Noisemaker59's video
Thumbnail

Killer Robots Help Us

"Pretty damn cool great video slick tunes nice work all round . "
9 minutes ago
Jeff 'Bones' Reilly liked Noisemaker59's video
9 minutes ago
Dennis Goodinson liked Wade's video
12 minutes ago
Noisemaker59 posted a video

Killer Robots Help Us

Music played on a 3-string cigar box guitar equipped with a '60s era TEISCO pick-up.
21 minutes ago
Noisemaker59 commented on Wade's video
Thumbnail

Lenny the Limberjack’s First Concert!!!

"Lenny keeps good time! Does he make his own CBGs ??? !!! Great job."
23 minutes ago
Troy Hall commented on Troy Hall's photo
Thumbnail

Shell Slide

"Hi all, yes, .50 cal. Cut just before the cone reduction. The nice thing is it does not slip off…"
35 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked Wade's video
41 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked Clarky's video
43 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked Richard Sundberg's video
46 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked Dave Lynas's video
48 minutes ago
Jeff 'Bones' Reilly liked Chris "Fingerz" Zaferes's photo
49 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked Casey Baron's video