Hi everyone,

I recently built my first proper CBG, using a neck-on-top design.  I'm hoping to add a magnetic pickup, and I'll probably either buy a Flatpup (http://www.original-flatpup.com/flatpup-cbg-pickup/86-fp3-scalloped) or build my own (http://onestringmusic.blogspot.com/2013/03/winding-1-string-humbucker-pickup.html).  My concern is that, even though these pickups are pretty flat, I might still have to cut a small notch in the neck in order to prevent the strings from touching the pickup.  It wouldn't need to be very deep (the production model is advertised as being 4mm thick, and the homemade version doesn't look much thicker), but I'm still a little concerned that cutting a notch might weaken the neck a bit.  The neck is made from 1x2 hardwood (I think it's oak, but I'm not sure).  

What do you guys think?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hey Mark, I read your post earlier today, and followed the link for the diy flat pickup. I was able to make one with stuff I had. The thing works good! I'm going to post a picture. Thanks for putting that link in your post. 

• Glad to hear it works well.  It seems remarkably simple.  I tried making one, and it didn't work, but I think I may have used wire that was too thick.  I only got about 200 turns before it got too beefy, and I'm guessing that wasn't enough.  Also, how did you go about mounting it to the guitar?

• I forgot to mention that I had proper 42ga wire from StewMac left over from 10 years ago, when I made a few pickups. I just soldered it to a jack and held it next to a git to test it. I think when I mount it, I will cut a whole in the box but won't need to notch the neck. Although, I have the neck braced anyway. The times I thought I didn't need to double the neck inside the box, I regretted it later. They sound funny when the neck isn't strong enough. 

• I think there's another way. Put the pickup OVER the strings. Take a look at the Lace Alumitone discussion here on CBN. We've managed, with a simple bar magnet, a thickish loop of copper wire, and a specific, quite small transformer, to recreate a quite powerful pickup that can be configured for a variety of situations. This type of pup would prevent the need for cutting into the neck at all.
    • Oh wow, that's wild!  My knowledge of electronics is pretty limited, but I might be able to figure it out.  At the very least, I could probably figure out a way to suspend a flatpup-type thing above the strings.  It'd be ugly and kludgy, but there's definitely a certain appeal in that.  Thanks!

• The designs we've collectively come up with are eminently doable with minimal electronics skill. The beauty of it is, if you use relatively thick copper wire, you can basically bend an L shape to the height you need to get above the strings.
This reply was deleted.