I posted a question about mounting a magnetic pickup inside the cigar box without cutting a hole through the lid. As I saw it, this setup offered a number of advantages, one being the box top didn't get chopped up.

Well, I couldn't let it go so where is my update.

I made mounts for both a single wound and mini humbucker. This set the pickups on springs so it could slide up and down.

The pickup mount is then attached to the neck assembly with a single screw.

Since there is no hole in the box lid, the single screw allows the pickup to be easily moved up and down the neck or angled to enhance certain strings.

With the cigar box lid installed the pickup presses directly against the box top under spring pressure.

So, how does it work? While the guitar is not completed, I couldn't resist stringing it up with a couple of strings and attaching it to my amp via some jumpers. I fired up the amp and turned the volume to the same position I always use. Then the moment of truth.

I picked a few notes and was rewarded with a familiar tone from my amp. I haven't recorded any tracks on Audacity to compare, but just listening, I think the volume is every bit as strong as my regular player. I guess a magnetic field just isn't impressed by a little cigar box top.

This is really encouraging. I can have the warm sound of a magnetic pickup without having to cut up the box top. I can also drive my self crazy trying different locations and angles of the pickup. Should keep me busy and confused for months. I'll pass along any interesting findings as I get her finished and playing.

Views: 1321

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OMG! Don't be giving me ideas. Maybe a variation on a Vibrato lever..............oooooooooh

Now if you got hold of some threaded stud,mounted a hand wheel on the end sticking out of the tail end of the guitar, a captive nut in your pick up mount,a pivot above the nut,lever out of the side of the box,hey presto !!

SORRY!!!

I like it, Fred. Make it a steam-punk setup. Your idea would work, you know.

Seems to me you could just use hot melt glue to stick the pickup to the lid (assuming you knew which position you wanted it in beforehand).

Why take the simple solution when you can Rube Goldberg it..............

Assembler? Haven't heart that term since 1985. Do you think I could use a short un-compiled line of code instead?

On the other hand, maybe I should crawl back under my rock.

This is totally awesome! Opens up a whole new world of cool. 

I think you hit on a show-stopper idea. Let everyone see your little homemade guitar and think it's cute, then fire up the amp, put in some distortion and blow them away. I love the idea!

It's Alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got the mag-in-the-box guitar put together this afternoon. It's a slider. Those fret looking things are actually pieces of small diameter piano wire flush mounted on the fret board. Provides easy to see fret marks and the hardness of the piano wire does provide a bit more sustain when I finger a string. The tapered neck is something I just wanted to try. I like the feel of it.

I'm still fiddling around with the action height. I have a lot of different diameters of piano wire and have tried several different sizes in the zero fret.

Now that it's assembled, I can do some comparisons of pickup volume between it and my regular player with the same pickup. Initially, I think that the mag-in-the-box is about 15~20% less loud than the regular player. This is based on where I have to set the volume knob to get the same sound from both.

I put the pickup 3 1/2" from the bridge, but think it will sound warmer around the 4" mark.

While there is still a lot of sorting out to do, I'm pretty pleased so far. The volume is totally acceptable as is. I may try the metal plate suggestion to see if it actually adds volume.

This one should keep me off the streets and busy for many weeks to come.

Thanks for all the suggestions posted in response to the original idea.

picked up some nice 10 mm round magnets today at Home Depot. Though I would try the magnets on the outside of the box suggestion posted earlier here.

Well I sat a magnet on the box top in the area  where the pickup was located and it instantly found the pickup and positioned itself. I did the same two more times and had a magnet under each string.

Turned on the amp and gave it a try. Wow! It really added to the volume from the pickup. I mentioned that I had lost maybe 15`20% of the volume I got from the same pickup mounted through the box in the conventional way. I gained every bit of that lost volume back with the magnets, maybe a bit more.

The nice thing is that I can still move the pickup up and down the neck and just reposition the magnets when I do. Cool.

Another thing I noticed is that if I use strings a bit heavier than the small ones that came with the pickup, the spring pressure alone will hold the pickup in place. No need for the mounting screw. With this setup I can switch from a single wound pickup to the mini-humbucker in about five minutes. Since I soldered an audio jack To each pickup, I just unscrew the audio jack and slide the pickup from its location between the neck and box lid.

The magnets are about 3 mm (1/8") thick. Off the wall stuff from HD.

Like I mentioned, they stick to the box top when they find the pickup poles.

I figure that they become, electrically speaking, an extension of the pickup poles. When the strings are plucked, they disturb the field of new magnets just as they do the pickup poles. Since they are closer to the springs the effect is stronger. Functionally, I think it's like moving the pickup closer to the strings.

Interesting stuff.

Please do. I think there is something here. Just not sure what.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Busking Songs...

Started by Nomad Jack in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by J. D. Woods on Wednesday. 7 Replies

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

Moritz Voegeli and Matthias Bichsel are now friends
3 hours ago
David L. replied to Rich Butters's discussion UK - Best Place to Buy Cigar Box's
"I have found these are…"
3 hours ago
J. D. Woods replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Are metal frets necessary?
4 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik posted a video

Don't Worry Be Happy: 3D Printed Cigar Box Guitar

Cigar Box Guitar Slingers - Spokane, 198th Zoom Mtg 04/15/24. Only 1-finger chords, free songbooks here: https://www.cbgslinger.com/download CBG Songbook.pdf...
4 hours ago
Southern Ray commented on Crazed Fandango's photo
Thumbnail

Frethound 4 String

" I was gonna say, "Sweeeeeeeeeet" as well, but that was taken. Very nice. I too love…"
10 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Are metal frets necessary?
" Any other questions, just ask. "
11 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Are metal frets necessary?
" Hello JD, welcome. I'm a fifty year failed six-string player that got into building and…"
11 hours ago
BrianQ. replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Are metal frets necessary?
14 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Crazed Fandango's photo
Thumbnail

Frethound 4 String

"Burn baby burn! Top looks hot Crazed; sporty headstock too. Excellent build."
14 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Ghostbuttons's photo
Thumbnail

Four projects

"You are a busy guy Warren! Outstanding builds and each one unique; well done."
15 hours ago
AGP # commented on Crazed Fandango's photo
Thumbnail

Frethound 4 String

""Sweeeeeeeeet", love the burning on the Body, have a Build on the Bench at the moment,…"
15 hours ago
AGP # liked Crazed Fandango's photo
15 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->