Day 3 of my holidays and I got bored again so I made some Diddley Bows out of my Mint Tins, some scrap wood, and bits of anything I had laying around from my previous builds. Both have got a Piezo on the inside and sound great through my Mustang Amp. I got like 50 more of these tins to use so might make more later.

What you guys think?

DSCF0496.JPG

DSCF0497.JPG

DSCF0498.JPG

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• another idea, shim up one side of the tin and put a dimple into the now high edge of the tin with a screwdriver, dull cold chisel, hammer and the side of a nail...

• A dimple sounds like the best way to go, simpler than sawing at the tin

• If you mean move sideways across the tin as you play it?

the string needs a groove to sit in (a.k.a. saddle) to not slide sideways, perhaps a sliver of wood glued onto the tin so you can put a shallow groove in the wood.

• That is what I meant and that sounds like the best way to go about it.

I have made Diddley Bows before and have found that sawing a slit in the tin itself, but I am not sure whether it would work on these ones

• updates people, I have been playing these for a couple days now and I am loving them both. The string on both is 13 gauge b string and it sounds cool.

quicky question though, is there a way of stopping the string from moving when I pluck or pick it?

• I've used Altoid tins or other squared off tins for my similar diddley bows and they don't have this problem. However, I have had this issue with whisky bottle bridges where there is a rounded edge. For them, I used either a piece of threaded rod or a scrap of bone nut material to create a more stable bridge.

• The pictures are deceiving edges of the tins are rounded so the string can move when plucked.

This reply was deleted.