Lost Newbie

I found this site and now would like to build a CBG. The problem is not the build but with the playing and setup and tuning. I have no idea about music, when you guys talk about a open g and other things about playing i am Lost. Where can I go and read up on the basics. I have tried to follow along on how to play but I guess I am to confused. I need a simple format, how did you guys start out when you knew NOTHING.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• taught myself years ago how to teach myself. ive been playing guitar for 20 years now and the only real lesson i had was when a friend showed me how to play power chords and read tab. learning to play on your own is a little bit harder than learning with other people right there with you. got any guitar playing buddies? most players are more than willing to give pointers and tips to someone just starting out. you know your gonna get everyone here telling you to get keni lee's dvds. a lot of members here have them and and say they are great. the same goes for john mcnairs vids. im lucky enough ive gotten to the point where i can pretty much figure things out by ear, but not always and it took several years to get my ears turned on. get john's and keni's vids and if you still have a tough time with it just remember you are a member of the cigar box nation. just ask for help and you will get it. ive found everyone here to be friendly, nurturing, patient, and more than willing to help anybody out that needs it.

• I'm pretty much like you Lost Newbie, except I just finished my first 3 string.  I went fretless.  My next one will be fretted and I'll compare.

Like you I knew nothing about playing music a few weeks ago.  Thanks to the videos by Mike Snowden and all the others mentioned I now know a few riffs and things are slowly making sense.  I'm happy as hell!  Just build it, frets or not... you can always build another.  

• I agree with Jeff, fret wire is the way to go. It is not expensive and is easy to work with and really just works great. It will make learning to play easier. For sheer fun and ease of playing, dulcimer fret spacing would be a good way to go

i think.. With no "wrong" notes on the thing (provided it is "in  tune") it is easy to get a lot of music out of it without having to really know much.

• John,here is Smojo's address,http://smojo-cigar-box-guitars.blogspot.com.au/

also,Keni Lee,Shane Speal and Knotlenny on the Nation.Go gettem! Ross

• no you may as well use real fretwire from the very start.

the only real reason to leave frets off a slide guitar is to chase the real advanced hawaiian techniques, slants and reverse slants.

fretting a neck is not hard at all, and makeshift frets are more difficult to do than real ones, which are dirt cheap.  This site is run and sponsored by Ben Baker Gitty, fretwire magnate.  He does em cheap and is a real decent guy.  Buy some and get cracking.  If you can get access to a scroll saw thats a really good shortcut on fretting, as is a belt sander.  Good luck and youre welcome to message me for any help whatsoever, im an accomplished fretting pimp and a very qualified music teacher.

My name is Jef Long and im in Australia

and i agree with Keni 100% a fretless 3 string instrument is very limited, fretless slide guitars need very versatile instruments which is why steel guitars usually have eight or ten strings

• John you can actually start any where you like in regards to the number of strings. Fretless is easier to build. Although, I would say more difficult to play. Frets basically make creating the different notes almost automatic. You push down with your finger tip and the fret (hopefully built correctly LOL) cuts the string at the right point and produces a note of the correct pitch. Fretless requires a like more attention to finger placement. There are players here that build with the strings so far away from the fingerboard that it is impossible to play with their fingers. In this case, it might be better to place the CBG on your lap and play with a slide only. This way you can tilt the slide on an angle and get notes together that would be almost impossible to access by holding the guitar in the standard way.

It really comes down to how functional you want the instrument to be and how versatile of a player you aspire to be someday. Definitely, it is a learn as you go type of adventure here. Fortunately, it is a relatively inexpensive project and mistakes can be corrected. Enjoy, Keni Lee     

• You may as well start with a fretless, tuned to GDg. Then upgrade to bound frets (wire/cord), then, eventually, fret it properly.

• I would like to thank everyone for taking the time and helping me out.I feel better already knowing I have plenty of help when I need it. Does anyone have the address to Smojo's blog I would like to check it out. Please forgive me if I post in the wrong area in the forum or ask many questions. I am the type of person who really checks out things that I get into. It drives my wife crazy but on the other hand it helps me make a good choice. I'm sure there are others out there like myself. I have a question should I start with a 3 or 4 string, frets or no frets?

Well thanks again and I'm about to get started and check out some of the sites you guys told me about. Peace John

• No wrong answer to your last question, but it is easiest to build a 3-string fretless.  A Diddly Bow is a great start though!  Just one string and if you can learn to make that sing, then you are well on your way to taking on more.  Don't dismiss the ability to make some great music with just one string.  :)

• This site, videos posted here and many found on YouTube are great resources. Search CBG lessons and you find a lot. Often video is better than reading a page of info.
This reply was deleted.